Customs stopped checking out counterfit ICs?

They did -- and eBay just rolls over and does as asked, without even taking a

15-second glance to see whether or not the reason for the request has any basis in reality.

Although I suppose they don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter -- they'd likely be risking some liability if they got in the middle, I suppose.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You're missing your _literally_ "golden" opportunity. Get an expensive shyster lawyer and sue Apple (and eBay ;-) ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

I've been in your killfile for years, but you know I never post anything other than ankle biter comments?

Reply to
Richard Henry

So you think that Customs should he the judge and jury?

So you thin that Customs should work in a vacuum, with no input from the IP owner (or licensee)?

Reply to
krw

Go for it. Then counter for restraint, Sherman, libel, and a bad hair day.

You think they're going to respond without motivation?

Reply to
krw

They sent me back a boilerplate response today. I sent them a polite response... perhaps I can get to someone who can actually think there...

One sentence in the boilerplate did make me think: "Please be advised that eBay was notified because the item in question was identified as containing counterfeits and/or infringements of Apple's federally-registered trademarks and/or copyrights, based on the photographs and description you provided. These trademarks include, among others, the Apple logo, home screen icons and the home button." -- The phone in question is made to *look* roughly like an iPhone (see, e.g.,

), so I'm beginning to think that Apple maintains *any and all* CECT band, model KA08 phones infringe on their trademarks by virtue of the home button and icons looking similar... and they just haven't gotten around to sending out takedown notices to every web site with a picture of one?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

ng

rks

and

an

on

. and

web

In my case, my ISP said they were certain of my alleged transgression becq\ause an independent third-party group running sophisticated software had analyzed their network traffic and determined I was committing a crime. I scoffed, "People and software - whoever heard of those entities making errors?"

Reply to
Richard Henry

You are way too trusting of government.

Security show is far more inportant to the politicians than real security.

When the military is getting bilked, it changes the issues, think it through.

Yes, America is becomming as publucly corrupt as African nations.

Reply to
JosephKK

Is there nobody else here that remembers some threads within the past year about some regulars here getting burned by counterfeit power transistors?

Reply to
JosephKK

Yes, and there are pictres online where a real part and a fake were cracked open to show multiple, small dies in parallel, in place of the real die.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or, the case a guy I met told me of...

Major Cel Phone Company contracted with chinese plant to build 500K cel phones, and told him (chip manufacturer rep) to expect order for

500K parts.

Order comes in for 1M parts! he checks with chinese rep, No, no mistake, they need 1M parts.

Factory was going to go ahead and build 1M units, and sell the extras themselves. Whether they were for 'domestic' consumption, or export as 'counterfit' he didn't know!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

There's a difference between obtaining input on a decision and simply letting another party take the decision for you; particularly when there's reason to believe that they may have an "aspirational" interpretation of their legal rights.

Reply to
Nobody

SO you think the government should have the expertise to know a fake IC from a real one? You think the bureaucrat should be the judge and jury?

Reply to
krw

That's a good point, and one probably wide enough to not invite a suit. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yup. And FWIW, we've been burned before with counterfeit SRAM.

See:

JW

nnels

cases

the

ce?

It's a QA maxim that you can't test quality in, so buying through unknown channels abandons any hope of complete quality control.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Well, as you're mentioning "judge and jury" ... in a trial neither the judge nor the jury are experts on the matter being tried. Instead, they hear evidence on specific facts from both sides, then make their decision. They don't just let the plaintiff decide the verdict.

Reply to
Nobody

I agree, and as I stated in the thread I don't like or approve of buying from brokers such as Part Miner (spit). BUT, if there are no other choices as a lead time of 8+ weeks has developed and your customer is screaming for product, there's not many alternatives.

Reply to
JW