crap radio

when

WAP54G could not be set-up, even with two pages of "step-by-step instructions" from LinkSys chat "support". I think it was DOA, sent back for refund... I'm going hard-wired, realized a hand-reach-through was available for the CAT-5.

On the other hand, Roku Soundbridge is a joy... true "plug-n-play", came right up... Fox News now via my sound system rather than thru PC-sized speakers. Runs straight off the network, no PC needed. Just listened to some Rachmaninoff piano... magnificent !-)

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

when

Careful when reaching in. I just had an ugly spider show up on the paper stack of my HP printer. The millisecond I got up to "eliminate" it the spider dropped itself into the printer. Hasn't come back out ...

Sweet. Maybe I should get one as well. But would have to run CAT5 over to the stereo and that'll be a bear. WLAN has no chance in this building.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

when

I know. I have an office-style "sign-holder" on my yard gate where I leave instructions (and payments) for my "support staff" ;-) AZ Exterminating's note says, "Black Widows at [these locations], something burrowing behind the waterfall..." ;-)

I'm extraordinarily pleased... which is unusual for me! The sound quality is quite good. Seems to have about 15 seconds of memory... pull the CAT-5 and it continues to play for about 15 seconds... I guess that's the way they smooth the "streaming".

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

I am quite surprised that this stuff hasn't shown up at the usual consumer places like Costco or Sam's Club. Somehow it remains in the nerd corner forever. I am convinced that if Rio had integrated web radio into their stereos that comapny wouldn't have gone under.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And of lower intelligence. dimbulb is so stupid he can't even host a crappy radio program. :(

Michael A. Terrell

An observation... just bought a 25' spool of CAT5e... looks to me like ALL pairs are evenly twisted, then twisted together to form the overall bundle. So I'm not seeing the asymmetry that some have claimed in their posts.

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

A 25' spool? That isn't enough to even bother with.

Michael A. Terrell

You're way behind the times. Up and over a closet from one wall of my office to an adjacent wall.

...Jim Thompson

No, for 25 feet I would just use a longer ready made cable, and run it through a wall plate at each end. Some jobs are just too small to dig out the specialty tools.

I need to run almost 1000 feet of it yet, to phase out the last of the wireless junk. I am turning a small closet into a server room, as well. That means three new 20 A circuits, and some ductwork have to be run, as well. Luckily, the main breaker box is in the same room, and only 15 feet away. I had planned for this, when the breaker box was replaced. I ran a 2" conduit out the bottom of the box, into the crawl space, and terminated it in a 6" * 6" * 6" box. There is an access hatch to the crawl space under the breaker box, and another in the closet.

Michael A. Terrell

different brands are different.

I have some with much more twist on the blue pair than on the brown pair at every place that I have cut it.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The difference in twist pitch is hard to see.

Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yep. I only examined about a foot of jacket-stripped cable ;-)

BTW, those On-Q/Legrand punch-down connectors and receptacle plates were a joy to use _and_ with an esthetic appearance completely approved by SWMBO.

...Jim Thompson

Just

=20

building.

Just to make very sure, try looking at 5 feet worth instead of an inch or so.

Reply to
JosephKK

Can't. Needed 23', so I used 24' to give me easy "working tails" so I could sit easily on the floor, punch 'em down and shove into wall ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"plug-n-play",

Just

over=20

building.

OK. Perhaps next time you have some, if you remember and care. Some checking showed me that though the Cat5 cables do use different twist rates per pair, it takes about a meter of cable to find it. =20

The longitudinal twist rate variations were on very long telephone cables and you may need to inspect a mile of it to verify the assertion. So beyond cost effective.

Reply to
JosephKK