Failure modes electronic fence

My galagher electric fence generator used to give around 6kV, but now is only giving around 3kV unloaded.

What are the usual suspects, and is it user-repairable?

It is purely electronic, no moving parts.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Is there an intermediary high voltage stage with a pair of caps to store the energy, that is fired into the final stage, and one has failed?

Reply to
N_Cook

A model number would be helpful. There are schematics of sorts on the internet, but without a model number, it's difficult to offer anything specific:

Does it have an internal voltmeter or are you using something externally?

Is it a solar/battery powered or AC line powered? Check the battery or AC line voltages.

I've never been inside a Gallagher electric fence generator, but if it's like the others I've played with, they're covered with high voltage corona dope or potting compound, making repair difficult or impossible. The high voltage is also a great way to get hurt. However, I did fix one such fence controller by simply cleaning the potting compound and insulators with alcohol.

You can also turn it on at night, in a dark room, and see if there's any corona discharge or arcing. AFTER CLEANING, add some corona dope to those areas arcs or blue glows to give it better insulation.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The watermelon has dried out!