Couple 555 output to PC speaker line input with shared 12V ac adapter

Hi There,

I have a circuit based around 555 astables, and I want to couple the output to the line input of some inexpensive PC speakers. The 555 circuit and the speakers share a 12VDC wallwart supply.

Is it all good to simply attenuate my signal to a safe level, or do I need to capacitively couple it or perform some other trickery to make the signal swing negative? In other words: one lead is grounded, the other varies between 0V and +0.3V, will this signal drive the speakers properly?

I can recall some of the implications of I=dV/dt and I'm afraid a capacitor might mangle my squarewaves, and also a little suspicious that I could accidentally bias the speakers into overheating or something. It's been a while since I melted any solder.

Thanks guys,

Adam

Reply to
videoreligionindustries

If it's not a DC amp, then the audio electronics block dc with internal capacitive coupling. DC to speakers can be bad. This can result in the waveform at the speaker not looking very square. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

capacitive coupling wouldn't hurt but probably isn't needed. attenuation is probably a good idea, about 10:1 should be good.

the bigger the capacitor the less it'll mangle your waveform.

--

Bye.
   Jasen