counters

Saying "They don't" doesn't make that point very well, but now I get what you are saying.

--

Rick
Reply to

Under international postal treaties, receiving countries deliver for no return. Sending countries "pay" for end-to-end. The theory was that it is simple and it all balances out. That was before the rise of China as an exporter of megavolumes of cheap stuff, exacerbated by ebay's presence.

Domestic. Sender pays, and in your case you pay first world prices.

because their outbound posts are subsidised by CN-govco.

Reply to
pedro

It's about time President Trump renegotiate these treaties, huh? ;-)

Reply to
krw

not so simple, there has been compensation for the difference in mail send and received for a very long time

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I was not aware this was in place... or it had been mentioned here and I forgot... lol

"As a matter of example, in 2012, terminal dues for transit from China to the USA was 0.635 SDR/kg, or about 1 USD/kg."

--

Rick
Reply to

So why are not Digikey, McMaster and other US companies taking advantage of this to serve the vast Chinese market? (for those who don't mind waiting a few weeks).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Why would anyone in China want to pay for shipping across the Pacific in two directions when they can just pay for local shipping? If you think the market would be large, you can fill that niche yourself. Get orders from China and have them drop shipped by Digikey.

--

Rick
Reply to

sers

send

In China, there are regional electronics markets where you can pickup every thing locally. They don't have to ship anything. Their designers live clo se to these centers. Even if you can't get parts immediately, you can come back in hours or the next day at most.

I guess we can force all engineers to live next to Digikey's or Mouser's wa rehouses, wherever that might be.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Q: Yes, and who do you think pays that? A: Chicom govco, NOT the vendors.

Reply to
pedro

What language are you writing? Most of us here use English. I don't recognize your language, so I don't know how to get it translated.

--

Rick
Reply to

Which puts U.S. vendors at a big disadvantage. Companies liked dx.com take full advantage of this. The companies whose stuff they sell have found a low-cost middleman to do order fulfillment. They don't need Amazon or eBay anymore.

Reply to
sms

Chinese Communist Government Corporation.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Am 28.03.2016 um 21:52 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Here in Germany, delivery time from Digikey & Mouser is 2 days usually, had it even a few hours less. Important condition is that it does not look interesting to customs. That might burst the bubble.

regards, Gerhard

(who decided to be not too angry about those rough-and-ready UPS drivers on the Autobahn..)

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Are you paying a bunch for fast delivery over the ocean? Here on the US east coast I get 2 day delivery from Digikey (mid US) using Priority mail while UPS ground takes 4 days. Priority is also the cheapest. Overnight is some $20+ for a small package last I checked. My understanding is across the ocean Fedex standard overnight is really two days, no?

I just learned what ePacket is and it seems like eBay has gotten involved with government shipping. I guess Hong Kong Post handles it there and ships it over the ocean, then USPS handles it here, like regular mail, but supposed to be faster. It's still not exactly fast, often 2 weeks. lol But cheap, often free on eBay. Got that in Germany?

--

Rick
Reply to

Yeah DK is 3-4 days, ups standard. Newark and McMaster-carr come next day... typically.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Australian.

It's English.

Thank you, beat me to it. Apparently Rick isn't old enough to recall the terminology. Chicom AFAIR started around the time of the Vietnam War.

Govco is still in use around the traps.

Reply to
pedro

No, it's Australian. Just like I speak American. We have separate dictionaries from the Brits so it must be a different language. Who said, "Two nations divided by a common language"? Aussie is no different... or I should so just as different.

It's all Greek to me. ;)

--

Rick
Reply to

Oh, come off it! There's clearly no disadvantage: US distributors aren't paying Chinese taxes. they should be more profitable if the arguments I see here are more than hot air.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Am 30.03.2016 um 01:19 schrieb rickman: ou can come back in hours or the next day at most.

Delivery is free for value > ?50 @ Mouser and ?65@ Digikey.

Being in Europe, the earth rotation buys some 7 hours extra time :-)

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

They don't have free delivery here at any price that I've seen.

Ok, I thought I read about overnight delivery being two days at the Fedex web page. Maybe I misunderstood. I was shipping across the boarder to Mexico at the time and it didn't apply. International shipping can be a PITA though.

--

Rick
Reply to