Cost of 1,000,000 gps modules + other bits?

Hi

I'm not about to buy these, so theres no point asking suppliers, but I need to get a rough idea of likely costs of some kit. It would consist of a GPS receiver to work out where it is, some kind of simple procesor to work out which direction it wants to go in to reach its target destination, using a simplified map to avoid a limited number of impassable obstacles. It will need a small solar panel and battery for power, and include a few beefy solenoids that it switches on and off at upto 1Hz.

It also needs a connector (or rf receiver) so external target coordinates can be given to it with an external device.

Equipment life need not be very long, as the kit will be destroyed after typically around a year. So if 99% make it to 1 year that would be acceptable. Module repair or maintenance will probably not be an option.

This lot would be made in volumes of 1,000,000 ish...

Where do I even start costing this lot up? No, I dont have a cirtcuit design, nor am I about to build them. At this point just need to get a rough handle on cost to know if an idae's worth continuing with.

thanks, NT

Reply to
bigcat

Un bel giorno snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk digitò:

For these numbers, I think it would be *much* better to develop your own GPS receiver by starting with a standard chipset (see for example

or
Your development costs would be irrelevant (they are divided for 1M units), and you wouldn't need a second processor (you can put your custom software into the same processor that handles GPS, commonly an ARM-derived CPU).

I really have no idea, but by guessing I would say something between 1 and

10$. :)
--
asd
Reply to

Right... GPS in bulk will cost you on the order of $20 (us). Define map.

You cost the bits. GPS $20, then work out how much power the solenoids use, and if they are really the overall cheapest way of doing it (if the aim is to move the device, then they are almost certainly the wrong thing), now take that power number, and go to various solar websites to work out how the solar cells will perform in your target location and orientation. Now, that gives you the size of the solar array and battery, which lets you cost them, ...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No wonder they said that the new ID cards for the UK would cost £9 billion

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

What's that saying.? 'If you have to ask "how much?", then you can't afford it.

Don't forget the plastique.

RL

Reply to
legg

world map, but with minimal detail. Merely needs to distinguish betwen go and no go zones, with low resolution. 200 yards per pixel would be absolutely fine, with 1 bit information depth.

Since the go and no go areas are mostly very large, (mainly countries and continents) this info could be heavily compressed.

It might alternately be possible to rely on GPS derived info.

yes... was just hoping for the chance to save some time here, since I probably only need a very approx figure. Only if it makes sense at tis stage is it worth going as far as a real design and costing.

sounds good

theyre just for control

target location: all over the world. Orientation: every which way. I think I now have another method of powering that would be better and cheaper.

Yep. I want to do it the lazy way first, to see if its worth finding out the figures for real.

A floppy drive has a similar amount of and type of stuff in it, excluding the GPS, and costs 10 retail, so about 5 at the factory gates. It includes the power source (the stepping motor), or something very similar to it, the tronics, connectors, skeleton housing, testing etc. Add gps @20, Looks good.

All that remains is to get a ballpark on the price of the big egg.

Thank you, NT

Reply to
bigcat

One method of estimating that can work if you have limited knowledge in the domain is to to look at (technically) similar items (those with reasonable competition) and what they sell for through similar distribution channels. Your item should be salable at a price at least as high as they sell for in order for it to be practical. Preferably a fair bit more.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Sounds like it's Cost+10% so who cares? Any large figure will do!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen