Cascode condenser

Hello

I know what a cascode circuit is but I don't know why it's called cascode. Google can find lots of examples but I didn't find anything about where the word cascode came from. Is it a name? Is it related to cascade?

Also when did a condenser become a capacitor? My farther's 1944 Radio coil and transformer manual never mentions capacitor only condenser. So it was obviously a condenser then, at least in England. Googling suggests that it's still a condensateur in french. Who changed it to capacitor? and when? and why?

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Edward Rawde

Hi,

Initially just a tube configuration, although now often used with transistors, 'Cascade' is a portmanteau word for a circuit combining a CASCade of two triodes which has some of the desirable properties of a pentODE. These being high gain and low feedback capacitance but without the partition noise due to a screen grid.

Don't know but suspect this was a gradual change. Terman used 'condenser' in parts of his opus and the motor industry still does to this day (electronic ignition excepted). A capacitor was of course necessary for Marty McFly to go back to the future because 'Flux Condenser' just doesn't sound right.

Cheers - Joe

Reply to
Joe McElvenney

Thanks Joe. That clears up cascode.

Reply to
Edward Rawde

My Nearther called it a capacitor and my Farther calles it a condensor.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hello Edward,

And it is still a "Kondensator" in German. If you need a true retro name you could call them "Leiden flasks". That's how they named them right after the invention.

Other languages provide nice descriptions for technical stuff. When I dealt with an Italian design I needed to look at the switch mode supply. That page of the schematic was called "unita d'alimentazione". Immediately my mouth watered and I longed for a nice dinner.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Yes there's plenty to read online about Leyden jars and why it was called a condenser. I was about to say that I still can't find anything about why it changed to capacitor but I tried a few more searches first and eventually hit on this:

But it doesn't tell me a lot more than I could have guessed. The logic for calling it a capacitor seems a bit suspect to me, as does the spelling of condenser. A water tank has the capacity to store water.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Reply to
Edward Rawde

Hello Thomas,

I always wondered where tor came from. Remember the "torrenbuizen" where they tried to come up with a transitor equivalent to most of the common tubes?

Even though I designed a lot of stuff alongside Dutch engineers I always had a chuckle when the word "smoorspoel" came up (a choke). It sounded too close to the German "schmoren" (searing or smoldering).

Oh, and I still treasure my copy of the "Vonkenboer".

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

'Voeding' in Dutch... similar meaning, though used when discussing nutritional value. Also using 'condensator' here. 'Elko' is a polarized one. Beta is a property of a 'tor'.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Transis-tor, as simple as that.

Smoren is something you can do to meat (low heat), but also quietly killing something. 'In de kiem smoren' = 'nipping in the bud'.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Well, unlearn it, because it's wrong. ;-) A transist-or is one who transists. To transist is to transfer resistance. Or maybe I'm still wrong, and it should be tran-sistor. ;-) A tube has transconductance, a transistor has trans(res)istance. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I know it's one of the first cities I gambled in in Nevada. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Thomas,

Thanks, I learned something again.

Yes, I remember the "Schmorbraten". Nowadays we do all that on the charcoal barbeque. Even in winter. But you have to have a closed lid barbeque where the air intake can be regulated quite well.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

[...]

If we can't find out when it was re-defined, I think we should go back to calling it a condenser in the interests of international compatibility. Perhaps the AES ought to take the lead...

[Dives for cover]
--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Groan. Don't you have something you need to be doing someplace?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Isn't (or wasn't) "Elko" a brand name (Philips maybe)?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Hello Fred,

Philips had the shiny blue color as their trademark but IIRC never laid claim WRT to this abbreviation. "Elko" is a short form of "Elektrolytkondensator". Now ain't that a nice long name for a component?

They also use other abbreviations such as "Trafo" for "Transformator". But then some Europeans become confused when they see a sign during a US trip that says "Ped Xing".

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

"Edward Rawde" schreef in bericht news:hBuxe.1476$ snipped-for-privacy@newshog.newsread.com...

the

I think so.

capacitor

We still have condenser microphones.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'invalid\' when replying by email)

I am shocked - shocked I tell you - to learn that there is gambling in Nevada.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Hello Rich,

We could also look at it as a transi-stor because it stores carriers that can put up quite a fight when you want to turn it off ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

A nun who wears men's clothing is a transister.

A cow that has an abortion is decalfinated.

Reply to
Guy Macon