GPS modules ?

Could someone recommend a gps module suitable for use in embedded projects (pic and lpc21xx) , robotics and hooking up to a (laptop/pc with windows and osx drivers).

Either 3V or 5V powered, ASCI output via rs232 or i2c or spi - (NMEA 0183) and under 10cm by 10cm (5cm by 5cm or under would be better).

Start up time isn't a concern , up to a couple of minutes is fine

Quite a few out there, just wondering which ones people use more and are fairly cheap , easy to use , reliable and rugged/robust.

I had a bit of a look at a few (first three look quite good) UV40 - Laipac TF30 - Laipac Lassen iQ - Trimble

Rikaline GPS-23 Jupiter 12 Leadtek 9543

UV40 , TF30 and Lassen listed here

Rikaline

Jupiter and leadtek GPS-9543 - bit pricy

Thanks Alex Gibson

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hey Alex, have you looked at Navman? I think they're over on your side of the globe, NZ. See the Juptier Pico and Calisto.

I've used the Jupiter 11. Nice thing is they have a dead reckoning input, for wheel sensors, so they can do a better job of predicting motion. Reasonably priced, I thought.

--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com

Hi Alex,

How's the cricket going?

Seriously, though, I am a newbie, but have come across some interesting articles on interfacing to GPS. One is in Everyday Practical Electronics, Jan 2004 issue, ( go to web site for assembler code - you will have to muck about a bit with their Assembler application software to translate it to Microchip's MPASM format -

), but it is very in - depth.

Or, there has been a couple of articles in Nuts n Volts (USA) magazine using the BASIC Stamp (search through

website for the article).

I think these projects used Garmin.

I can e-mail the first article or post it here if u like.

Cheeers

Dale

DS

Have you had a look at Freescale's (Motorola) FS Oncore?

Or even the old standy, Garmin?

dmm

You can buy combined GPS modules and antennae for about $80 off the net (try eBay). These small devices can be obtained with either a standard RS232 or USB output. They put out the information in standard NMEA format (which basically means that it can be read directly by a microprocessor). I am using them with a Picaxe08 micro to monitor the movement of cattle via a small solar-powered collar around their neck. And for RC airplanes with a tiny

300 MHz (approx) transmitter from Oatley.

Alex Gibs> Could someone recommend a gps module suitable for use

WDino

Digital cattle? Sounds like something from a bad SCI-FI movie. ;)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've used the UBlox TIM-LP and GPS-MS1E in a couple of designs. They run off 3.3V and provide CMOS level asynchronous outputs. They can provide either NMEA or a binaryn packet protocol as output.

Try

You can even buy samples through their web site. IIRC, the TIM-LP modules are about $110 each.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

cattle via a

with a tiny

Tracking cattle by GPS seems to be a popular thing to do. There is a picture here.

Peter

Reply to
peterk

I'd rather see them on usenet kooks, trolls and spammers so we could make sure they don't get near a working computer.

I'm sure they are quite useful to ranchers when livestock goes missing.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell wrote (in ) about 'GPS modules ?', on Sun, 27 Mar

2005:

Mavericks arise! You have nothing to lose but your tracking devices! (;-)

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Where, oh where, has my little dogie gone.

Bad doggerel, bad.

CBFalconer

Check out:

:)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Try Furuno... I know they make some that are maybe 1/4" x 1" x 2" (6 mm x 25 mm x 50 mm), connector for external antenna, 5.0 or 3.3 V, serial output in standard ASCII formats. I think it's logic serial and you need to follow with a MAX232 or equal to get RS232 serial. One antenna I have seen used is a "puck" that is maybe 1/2" thick by 2" diameter (13 mm x 50 mm).

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Where are you going to put a troll or spammer that they wouldn't come within the tracking error(say 20 meters in an urban canyon) of a working computer?

So how do the cows transmit back their position? Or do they log the positions to see where the cows go when they aren't watching?

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

I was thinking more along the lines keeping them at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

You've got me. I haven't been near a live cow in almost 39 years. I prefer my cows already processed. In fact, there's some beef cooking in my crock pot full of chili right now.

I didn't start the part about the digital cows, I just commented on it.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(try eBay).

Can you give some more info on the ones you are using?

Thanks.

output.

means that

via a

tiny

Reply to
Chris

Check out

I am a customer of theirs. It is a small company and I like to support them.

Cheers

Dale

DS

Have a look at the Lassen IQ module as sold by Step GPS in Oz.

3.3v at 30mA. Needs an active antenna (also from Step)

Alan

Jenal Communications
Manufacturers and Suppliers of HF Selcall
P O Box 1108, Morley, WA, 6943
Tel: +61 8 9370 5533 Fax +61 8 9467 6146
Web Site: http://www.jenal.com
Contact: http://www.jenal.com/?p=1
Alan

This has to be an opening for a 'Far Side' cartoon. ;-)

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Do you know how much the IQ model is, Alan?

Reply to
dmm