Cooling and insulating fluid

It is the "mostly" part i am worried about..that damn purple coloring additive..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Now THAT data sheet has it all; no MSDS bush beating. I see they have other 7xxx; is the 7500 top of the thermal line?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wright arm. Water really is the universal solvent, ultrapure water dissolves PTFE Teflon, polyethylene, gold, glass and everything else (though several of these very slowly). I remember stories of semiconductor fabs being surprised that their ultrapure water was dissolving enough Teflon tubing to contaminate some processes.

Reply to
josephkk

DOT 3 is the stuff that eats paint, IIRC.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Right. The filler particles space themselves apart very nicely.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Put a tiny fan and a filter at one end, and air-cool the stack. Extra credit if you can get the fan to run from the 1.4 mA stack current.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Motor oil is an excellent insulator. I used to use plastic tubes filled with motor oil to extend the end of a car ignition coil bushing. Got 6" sparks, with a big oil cap and a thyratron blasting the primary. The old car coils were oil-filled inside, too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Here is a data sheet,

Now I don't know if you can get it in small properties, but it looks the same as the FR3.

D877 and D1816 are just test methods.

Martin Riddle

Not too bad idea for some users; the picky ones want their TV sets to look original. Know of any fans that have 100K resistance? That way,the higher the current, the faster it would run: 100V at 1mA for 25W cooling.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, many are good - but zero electrical specs and hard to find thermal specs.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, that is the one i found. Note the unavailable "D" specs and most especially note zero thermal info.

Reply to
Robert Baer

use).

Yes, the fan should speed up as the stack current increases.

You have voltage to burn, pun intended, so a little switcher can power the fan.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

  • How? Method, materials, etc needed.

  • "chase"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Shell Diala AX oil is used in electrical-discharge machining, one CAN get electrical specs on it. Presumably the insulating/cooling oils in power transformers are also held within some kind of electrical limits.

You won't like how loose the specifications are, of course.

Reply to
whit3rd

stuff.

FR3

I'd

work.

I don't suppose that you have tried searching for *+insulating +oil* ?

Reply to
josephkk

That Depends. Call them and get their advice; this is 3M, not Acme Transistor & Storm Door Company. Their guru knows what he's talking about.

David Lesher

Like most search items tried, this also (mostly) "gives" useless (as well as unobtainable) ASTM "specs", recycling centers, and used oil suppliers. Again, like most search terms used, one is lucky to get one potentially useful source. At least now i have a few potential sources that i can nag for some real (read: usable) numbers and prices.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Due to conflicting "specifications" and lack of data (mainly thermal conductivity, availability, cost, where to buy),i have e-mailed the various sources for specifics. The Novec 7500 spec sheet is the only one that is "complete",however it gives breakdown and not dielectric strength. From that, it would seem that thermal conductivity is crap for oils, being slightly better than still air and one tenth of water.

I know, a new product, SkyBuckian: Non-Polar Water!!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Baer

stuff.

FR3

just

I'd

work.

cases

The standards are available for about us$40 each including D3487 which is the one you want.

I bumbled around a bit with garbage responses as well then i found

*insultion-oil -filter -recycler -tester* which has reasonable number of positives and less other stuff. See my other post with some hits.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

?

potentially

real

Oil is going to have thermal conduction a lot like plastic, after all aren't some plastics just polymerized oils? You can get heat transport if it is flowing well. For real heat transport you need phase change.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk