Converting 0-2200Vac to 0-10VDC

What other loads are on it? What kind of wiring is open to the public?

You could just drape a wire over the transformer and feed a 7-8V pk-pk AC Transorb. ;-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

At what frequency?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Get a HV probe for your DVM.

Or, a voltage divider:

0-2200Vac >-----------+ | [R = 2190M] | +-------- 0-10Vac | [R = 10M] | 0- 2200Vac Ret.-------+------- 0-10Vac Ret.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:18:34 -0700, Devendra wrote: [snip] Pay no attention to Phil Allison - he's a troll.

The most cost-effective solution is a high-voltage probe, off the shelf. You would never be able to build something like that from scratch for anywhere near the same money. (i.e., think 10X to start.)

It depends on too much stuff - first, buy a probe, post the spec, and find a way to post some pix of it and where it has to be mounted.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

apparently, you need a control reference. for this, you really do need a potential transformer to be safe about it how ever, You can use a resistor divider network that would drive a simple PWM circuit with isolated dc power supply driving an opto coupler. The other side would simply reform the signal.

I did this to isolate a signal reference from a 0..60kVDC HI-POT unit. We used a oil fill can that house the resistor network for cooling. Had a stand alone DC supply via a Xformer with TVS diodes for protection which operated the sensing from the divider to drive the Optical system with PWM. On the other end, it was all basic electronics from the photo detector. We didn't use any popular opto's. We simply formed one of our own in a non transparent tube for the sender and receiver. that gave us the space to guaranty no arc over.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

THey already make them. Look for potential transformer.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

You do realize you need to calculate the load factor of the meter attached? or load any ways. most meters are 10 megs input, that is, if you're using a DMM. also, the capacitance loading even at 50/60 hz with that much R will effect the math.

Oh well, just an observation. I was told the other day that men from maine are brainless. Then I made common that I was originally from Maine. Room got quiet. So if that statement is true, just ignore me! :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail

GMT)

CLR

I think you should avoid any direct connection of resistive divider networks to that high a voltage. If the divider flashes over, your measurement device may rise to 2200 Volts. There are transformers designed for voltages like this called Control Transformers which step the 2200 Volts down to 120 Volts. You could connect a Variac (variable autotransformer) across the 120 Volt secondary and adjust the variac for an output of 10 Volts. Actually, you could use any transformer which steps up 120 Volts to 2000 to

2500 Volts. Connect the HV Secondary to your 2200 Volt line. Be cautious and careful!

Ken Fowler

Reply to
Ken Fowler

"Ken Fowler"

** Funny how 40kV and 100:1 scope probes work so well then.
** This is a big " If ".

A correctly designed divider has zero chance of doing that.

** Way out of the OP's meagre 10 cent budget.
** What a bizarre thing to do - when the OP wants 0-10 DC to track 0-2200 AC.

All he needs is a rectifier ( precision or rms to DC ) and a voltage divider.

** Like they grow on trees too.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

All men have two brains. The trouble is in figuring out which one to use. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I do have problems with that at times! :)