clean diesel

Diesel's engine is theoretically more efficient, but one of the articles John linked said the actual fuel economy realized is currently nearly at parity. (They blamed part on European diesel cars being larger, but didn't elaborate if the rest was from emission-control losses, or otherwise.)

Diesel here's was ~$2.50/gal last week, vs. $1.90 for gasoline. (Diesel might be slightly better than that. I rarely pay much attention to gasoline prices, let alone diesel.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes Karl. :-)

Big Government creates inequality. And exploitation. Assures it.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

the

ted

the

According to "The Spirit Level"

most_Always_Do_Better

the US - with Portugal - is pretty much the most unequal advanced industria l country. Scandinavia and Germany, where the governments extracts more mon ey from taxpayers and are thus presumably bigger - are a lot less unequal.

Scandinavian Gini indices come in around 0.25, and Germany is 0.27.

Typical advanced industrial countries sit around 0.30.

The USA is at 0.45 and China at 0.47.

ank.html

The Gini index is a bit one-dimensional, and "The Spirit Level" uses a slig htly different measure.

In fact "big government" isn't much of a guide to inequality. It's more dep endent on the extent to which special-interest groups get to bend governmen t to look after their interests. In China, the special interest group is th e Chinese Communist Party. In the US it's the people who own the country (a nd who have tended to have owned the country since the founding tax evaders threw out the British).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

dustrial levels of nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide can cause death. It ca n cause collapse, rapid burning and swelling of tissues in the throat and u pper respiratory tract, difficult breathing, throat spasms, and fluid build

-up in the lungs. It can interfere with the blood's ability to carry oxygen through the body, causing headache, fatigue, dizziness, and a blue color t o the skin and lips.

Industrial exposure to nitrogen dioxide may cause genetic mutations, damage a developing fetus, and decrease fertility in women. Repeated exposure to high levels of nitrogen dioxide may lead to permanent lung damage. Industri al exposure to nitric oxide can cause unconsciousness, vomiting, mental con fusion, and damage to the teeth. Industrial skin or eye contact with high c oncentrations of nitrogen oxide gases or nitrogen dioxide liquid can cause serious burns.

Long-term exposure to nitrogen oxides in smog can trigger serious respirato ry problems, including damage to lung tissue and reduction in lung function . Exposure to low levels of nitrogen oxides in smog can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. It can cause coughing, shortness of breath, fatigu e, and nausea.

If you think you have been exposed to nitrogen oxides, contact your health care professional. from National Institutes of Health

Reply to
omnilobe

Older engines don't have turbo. At least my 3 don't. :)

Soot means inefficiency, so I'd rather keep trying to reduce it.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

No need, I still remember what I wrote :)

I'm sorry, although you're right about the 'less soot', I still think it also implies finer soot, because the particles to be burned are smaller to start with.

Yes.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

emissions-

Of course they did, they are government, what did you expect? Governments are incompetent all the time. Most of the times they have to borrow, rent or buy expertise and equipment.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

emissions-

And who paid the professors? ;)

joe

Reply to
joe hey

In a perfect world, yes. Not in the 'scientific' community called 'climate science'. There it's the AGW gang that runs the show, and kicks out the non- conformers.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

Hahaha, that is funny. Of course I was incompetent at that time, being a student who was still learning. And boy, was that an educational experience. But what this all has got to do with your blabber below is totally beyond me. Everybody makes mistakes. But one is supposed to learn from those and not to repeat those. You and 'Bill' however...

joe

Reply to
joe hey

That's recent history, not some imagined perfect world

They didn't kicked out Lindzen, though he eventually retired from MIT - he's now 75. Spencer and Christy are still at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH)

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

I'm sure that both of us are happy not to have been tarred with your approv al.

Your capacity to repeat your mistakes is remarkable. Krw can't learn, Jamie probably wouldn't want to learn, even if he had the capacity, and James Ar thur doesn't want to learn because it would cut him off from his political bed-fellows. You are probably as dim as krw, since you share his failure to understand what evidence is. Jamie at least knows what evidence looks like , though he seems incapable of using it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And the only perfect person in this newsgroup is called 'Bill'. ;-)

joe

Reply to
joe hey

I may aspire to perfection, but I'm well aware that I fall short - particularly when I waste bandwidth reacting to trivial provocations from drips like you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

What John really means is that government regulation of business is yet another area he knows nothing about but is happy to criticize with all his breath.

I worked for the CPSC for bit and yes, they were slow and somewhat poorly equipped. But lazy, incompetent.... no. They have to be very careful about making mistakes. When you design electronic equipment a mistake means you respin a board or have a device recall. In government regulation it means you spend the next 10 years in court dealing with the ramifications and all progress stops. Then there is the issue of every single thing you do being a public issue, exposed to the scrutiny by the press and Congress. Any small mistake can become a landmine. Not a fun job at all.

--

Rick
Reply to

Amazing how a 10% increase in the tax can yield a 30% increase in total price.

--

Rick
Reply to

They're both around $2.20/gal, here, with gas being a tad bit cheaper. A few weeks ago diesel was around $2.30 and gas $2.40. They move around quite a bit and certainly not in sync.

Reply to
krw

U.S. average taxes on diesel and gasoline vary by state.

In Europe the diesel tax is apparently much lower, since Lasse's telling us diesel's cheaper.

Their cost of fuel being the same as ours, their price differences reflect tax policy, not fundamentals.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

yes it is tax, the list price for diesel and gasoline without tax is pretty much the same, the tax on diesel is lower so it end up being ~15% cheaper

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I paid $2.89 last Sunday for middle grade, but it was at one of the lowest stations (Thrifty). I could have paid more.

Bill Bowden