China Tariffs

I got hit with a 25% tariff on a sizable order from China yesterday. I was not able to find any details on this when I had searched. Anyone have this experience? I'm wondering if there is a minimum before the tariff is imposed.

I recall under Trump they started charging tariffs and that they were not trivial. Electronics vendors often were passing the tariff through as a separate charge on the goods that were impacted, but I haven't seen much of that lately. I guess I thought it had been removed. I'm wondering now if they simply found ways to get around the tariffs by buying through other countries.

Reply to
Rick C

I was wondering about the same. I think the tariff is still in place, but i haven't been hit with any of my ebay purchases.

Reply to
Ed Lee

IIRC under about $600 they don't look very carefully.

It should be based on country of origin, not where it was shipped from, but that's often a bit hazy with semiconductors (it never mattered much before because no significant country in the world taxed semiconductors).

There's also a lot of transhipping and fake "made in" markings that the Vietnamese are doing with consumer goods.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany