Cheap thermometer calibration technique?

The "experts" in the group would rather simply have you and everyone else believe that I am off my rocker.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

You're kidding, right?

I am quite sure that the OP knows all about scale conversions, and even likely has a good grasp on direct "off the top of one's head conversions.

Pedantic idiocy, is what that remark is.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

It has errors for IR instrument calibration.

Which is fine and dandy, HOWEVER, for IR, there ARE issues to consider.

For someone so pedantic, one would think you would care about such issues.

A black body CAVITY is the better source.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

So... what... barely boiling... roiling boil... hearty, full boil?

All three have different temps.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

For such a pedantic twit, you sure don't know when what matters and what doesn't.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Said the slanderous, retarded f****ng bastard of aed, aee, aem, aee, etc.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Nah you're just a drunk and that's forgivable.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Not drinking, and you're just a goddamned retard.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Both ice and water have IR emissivities of about 0.98... they are already as 'black' as things get. So crushed ice in water, freshly stirred, is a near-perfect 0 degree C IR target in any vessel. A thermos is ideal to keep it very close to 0 C.

John

One stove and one bucket of ice. Put thermometer in Boiling water. tha's 212F (100C) (at sea level).

Put thermometer ic ice bucket that has water up to just cover the ice. that;s 32F (0C). (We did this often in physics lab in high school and college!)

Angelo campanella

Reply to
Angelo Campanella

Angelo-

I've used this technique for standard thermometers.

However, the IR gun is a different animal. Its reading is dependent on the "emissivity" of the surface being measured. If DaveC looks at the specs of his, he will probably see an emissivity factor mentioned along with the accuracy data.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I would put money on the therocouple thermometer, for what it's worth.

Reply to
ratman

Melting ice and condensing steam. For both you are going to need a small copper or aluminium block painted matte black for the IR temp gun to read and a hole drilled in the block thats a close fit for the thermocouple with a little dab of heat transfer grease. Implementation is your problem, although it can be advantageous to insulate the sides of the block with expanded polystyrene.

Reply to
IanM

Water and ice have thermal IR emissivity of around 98%, about as black as things get. So mix crushed ice into cold water in a glass or cup, preferably a thermos, stir, and aim your IR thermometer straignt down into that. Or swish a thermocouple around in it. Even yukky tap water, well stirred with ice, will be within 15 mK of 0C.

The high end, boiling, is a little trickier.

John

ratman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How do you know the basic DMM is accurate? gotta use the RIGHT thermocouple,too.

Ice water bath in styrofoam cup and boiling water in pot. 32F and 212F. Can't get any simpler. (unless you are at some unusual altitude,like Denver)

But you could find corrections online,I'm sure,DAGS.

take a heavy gauge aluminum strip,paint exposed part flat black,and stick in cup/pot,for IR thermometer reading.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Simply apply a millivoltage equivalent to the thermocouple thermometer and see if it reads right (use a known-good DMM with a 200mV range). You'll need to know the ambient temperature accurately. When you short the input it should read the temperature at the jack. When you apply the mV (calculate from desired reading and ambient, given the type-- usually "K" = Chromel-Alumel) it should read that temperature.

The thermocouple itself will either work well enough or not at all, barring the most extreme circumstances.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Each to their own, but i do not use thermocouples very often due to the "cold" junction compensation needed. It is just too easy to calibrate a thermistor instead.

Reply to
JosephKK

The aluminum block is quite unnecessary, though an aquarium pump or lab stirrer is useful.

Reply to
JosephKK

Deionized, distilled (chem lab high purity) water really helps in both cases.

Reply to
JosephKK

Freezing and boiling water (compensated for altitude) is probably more accurate than the fancy IR thermometer, and a damn sight less expensive.

Reply to
JosephKK