Cheap thermometer calibration technique?

You just made one, f*****ad.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

You don't get it. If the surface (read that word carefully, idiot) is prepared correctly, a 0.98 emissivity is achieved, and AL makes an EXCELLENT black body source, and it is used in the industry EVERY DAY.

So f*ck off, you goddamned retard.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Yet you complimented HIM for posting it.

Nice reply to me. I really enjoy helping someone out, and then seeing them complimenting someone else for it. Thanks.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Similar to imagery. One should always take the highest resolution shot possible, so that it can be used in any circumstance form a low res paste to a hi res utilization.

Calibrating an instrument should always involve a known source that is of a HIGHER resolution that the instrument itself is.

If a source that equals the instrument's accuracy is used the error level in the two can chain together. In fact, it is termed as "chaining error".

Reply to
The Great Attractor

It wasn't for me personally. I was concerned about anyone who may not have seen his posts before. Since he seems to specialize in lame insults and counterfactual statements, I don't read his posts much anymore. When someone replies to him, I may read the reply. Someone new to the group, however, may not know this about him.

Reply to
MooseFET

How about a simple warning post, once a week about the losers who spread false and dangerous info?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One of the local news groups I used to frequent had a monthly FAQ posting. There was an unoffical "keeper of the FAQ" who would edit it from time to time and post it about once a month unless it was raining or too sunny that week.

It worked moderately well. From time to time a newby would jump in with a post before reading it and get gently roasted over the open flames. When spam ads were posted we would have a little competition to see who could write the best parody of it.

Reply to
MooseFET

You really need a set of temperature standards. Temperature standard equipment is expensive.

On a laser temperature reader, there is the EMS "emisivity) factor. You must set the EMS of the reader to be proper for the type of object you are measuring. If the EMS is not adjustable on your reader, then the reference object must be of the correct colour and type of material to be referenced.

If your reader is expensive to replace, I would suggest you send it to a calibration lab that can check these types of units.

A crude way of checking the temperature accuracy is to use ice water with crushed ice, and measure the water. This should read within about

0.5 C under ideal conditions. You can boil some water, but the borametric pressure facture must be considered. This should be able to reference to within about 0.5 C. The water must be purified water. Tap water will have minerals in it, and its boiling point will be effected.

Jerry G =====

Reply to
Jerry G.

That is your specialty, you retarded f*****ad.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Totally retarded behavior.

Not surprising that you endorse such utter stupidity.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

This popped up -- a home-made RTD:

<
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Reply to
DaveC

He's proven himself to be both stupid and illiterate, so please be nice and stop riling him by shoving his nose at documents that he can neither read nor understand.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

There are various temp sensor IC's (LM35 et.al) that can be had in

+/-0.5degC accuracy grades. If you can get some samples, then they are FREE.

Of course then you have all the other surface issues that everyone else is talking about.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

maybe put it in a black matte metal vessel, (eg a stainless bowl that's been blackened by heat.)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Your a goddamned retard, Bob, and anybody that your the uncle of should be ashamed.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

There's that word again...

SURFACE!

Reply to
The Great Attractor

IBM seems to like vacuums in between their lines on an IC chip.

?articleID=199203911

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Having suggested in an earlier post that water and ice might not be "friendly" sources in IR pyrometer calibration, it is worth reading the following thermometer calibration guide:

While the guide provides detailed methods for using water in the calibration of bi-metal, thermocouple, thermistor, and other thermometers, it says the following about IR thermometer calibration:

IR thermometers are calibrated using a ?Blackbody,? which emits a given amount of energy at a given temperature. A blackbody calibration instrument is expensive. However most manufacturers of NIST IR thermometers provide a calibration service for a nominal fee for yearly calibration and certification.

On the other hand, AEMC (an instrument manufacturer) offers the following water/ice calibration technique:

Please note AEMC's concept of acceptable errors using these standards! That should explain why serious calibration requires a cavity-type blackbody source.

One can usually calibrate an instrument using a variety of standards, but it is prudent to understand the errors each introduces.

It's yet another instance of the "good, cheap or fast - choose any two" constraint.

Chuck

Chuck

In the first place, the OP was dealing in F, not C. In the second place, this is neither a crude nor inaccurate method of calibration. In the third place, we have data that shows that for crushed ice, water, inside of a decent thermal chamber (like a thermos bottle) it will be within millidegrees of 32 °F.

You can boil some water, but the

That's "barometric" last I looked. The correction factor has already been posted ... 29.92" Hg. is the reference pressure and the correction is approximately 1 °F for each 1" Hg. drop in pressure ... which is one HELL of a drop. Just for reference, 1" Hg. is approximately 1000' of altitude from sea level.

This should be able to

The spelling is "affected" and the requirement for purified water is horsefeathers.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

You're wasting your time trying to correct Jerry. Read some of his posts on news:sci.electronics.repair and you'll see that he just doesn't care. I looked at his business website once, and it was just as bad.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida