Cheap 12-bit, 200 Ms/s arb--any wisdom?

If you're only counting exports, sure, only exports count.

You just have to get the "Too Big to Fail" classification. I think it costs around $250,000, checks (need friends and family) made out to the DNC and Re-elect Dumbo campaign.

Reply to
krw

I've already replaced the lenses in both pairs, and have to do one pair again. I have pretty decent frames so they last longer (though I ran one over with a hand truck yesterday - pliers bent it back out to a useful shape). A pair of lenses cost around $135, so I know what you're talking about.

That's easy. Look over the frames. ;-) I don't wear glasses for driving, yet. I do have an astigmatism (only in the last few years, weird) so probably should. I just passed the test without out problems, so I probably won't for at least another couple of years. That'll mean carrying two pair of glasses. :-(

Reply to
krw

The cheap frames are uncomfortable and last about a week. They cheap glasses don't come with large enough lenses, either. Large lenses are hard to find even in the expensive frames (currently out of fashion).

Reply to
krw

Titanium frames should last longer than a week, unless you're in the habit of driving over them. Usually the lenses get too scratched before the frames die, at least for me.

I see 55 x 37 lens size in a titanium frame.. that big enough for ya?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Show me a factory project that took ten years to get permitted. Not a refinery or chemical plant, but an assembly factory.

Note Jobs had no problem building the space ship office in Santa Clara, in one of the most congested parts of California.

Reply to
miso

Well you brought up taxes. You do realize your taxes could be lower or the debt could be paid off if Apple assembled in the US like they used to do.

I noticed the IRS wants way more detail on stock earnings. Fine with me. I have it all computerized. They are increasing the paperwork to find more fraud. Do I assume correctly that you favor fraud?

Reply to
miso

Many just don't get built. Apple is the prime example, here. Note what Boeing just went through at the hands of your favorite President.

An office building in an area designed for office building, *not* a factory. You are as clueless as you sound here.

Reply to
krw

Treat yourself to a stereo zoom microscope. I had one when I could see without reading glasses. It was $300 about 15 years ago, used obviously. These things are a dime a dozen in the valley, so getting a used one isn't difficult. You need the heavy base and long arm to get gear or boards underneath it. Shipping and packing such a beast would probably cost as much as the scope.

.net is actually quite modern. Rigol uses activex. When I get a larger drive in the notebook, I'm going to set up the MS XP VM. I'm waiting for the next drop in SSM prices. The Rigol software works with great hacking, but occasionally crashes as well.

Reply to
miso

Just did that yesterday (with a hand truck). I'm constantly dropping them. The problem isn't the material, rather the gauge. There is nothing to the cheap frames. I've looked everywhere for new frames, without much luck. These are five years old and getting rather tired of being bent back in shape. The cheap frames won't last once.

These are 61x41 (just measured them and I can't see without them so may be off a mm or so).

Reply to
krw

They tend to feel flimsy, but IME, don't break.

Those are goggles!

55 x 39 in titanium 17 gram weight for $40.

Heavier feel in Stainless steel, but they're not as durable. The memory ones are so light I think they'll fly away in a strong breeze (though I had a brand new $450 pair washed off swimming in the ocean- that sucked- never found it).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

For our country exports are needed because our trade balance is totally lopsided. That isn't going to work forever, it'll cause inflation and a longterm slide in the standard of living.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then make it worth their while again. But as I said, that'll take a change on the hill.

Baloney. What is nonsense is this, and it's just one example: Foreign stuff needs to be reported in detail to the US Treasury in Detroit by June-30. Plus, of course, earnings properly declared by April-15 which every righteous taxpayer does. But now you get to do the _same_ detailed reporting to the IRS that you are _already_ doing to the US Treasury. Now why is it so difficult to simply connect the US Treasury computers and the IRS computers? Can you explain that?

This is the nonsensical red tape that needs to go. BTW, it has also caused American businesses to become pariahs in foreign countries. Try to open a bank account for a biz and you'll see. The solution for businesses is rather simple but today's body politicus is of course unable to understand such matters: The big American company becomes a foreign business. Problem solved. Of course, only big companies can do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I just have two pairs of glasses now, my normal ones for everyday walking, driving, watching TV, etc. and my reading ones for working on the computer, reading or any close up work. To solder 0603, I take them off... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Too large and bulky for me. Sometimes I've got very large prototypes on the lab banch here. So I've got myself a little USB microscope that I can place on top of the machines where the boards are if needed.

.NET is a pain. The topper was when a software complained that 2.0 was "too new" and it wanted 1.1 or whatever. MS used to be so good WRT backward compatibility. Obviously no more.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Red tape is what keeps the air clean and puts shit heads in jail. I'm all for red tape.

Regarding the iphone, do you seriously think I would make this statement without having a way to back it up. One estimate is $60. This article claims $65.

----------------------------- There's no question that China's low wages are part of the country's appeal -- even though they've increased. According to the Times, building the iPhone stateside would add up to $65 to the cost of each device. To put that in perspective, it's about 10% of the full retail price for the cheapest iPhone 4S. Given the fat margins on Apple's products, the company could absorb that extra cost and still come away with a profit. But it's hard to imagine why they would make that sacrifice.

-----------------------

Clearly Apple hates America.

Now if Tek and Agilent could come within 10% of Instek and Rigol, which would you buy?

Reply to
miso

Oh we have one great export: refined gasoline!

These tea bagger morons scream about the pipeline from Canada to Texas, dreaming that the refine gas will be used domestically. Refined gasoline can be sold on the open market. If they want the tar sands to make gas that stays in the states, they could send it to any number of refineries closer to Canada. But Texas has a port, so more money can be made at the expense of potential pollution in this country. Clearly this pipeline is backed by people who hate America.

Reply to
miso

Red tape is the main issue with our competitiveness. It took us over five (!) years to get through the permit process for an education building. An education building! IMHO we'd be better off if a whole bunch of bureaucrat get fired. Less red tape, less fat pensions.

And exactly why would they want to do that? Out of sheer generosity? What'll happen then is this: Other (foreign) companies would offer better deals to Missy Bell, because Missy Bell is ultimately subsidizing those deals via two-year contracts. Apple ain't the only game in town and Missy Bell will not pay 10% more but tell the vendor to eat that difference.

I'd buy Tek or Agilent. But _only_ if the performance in the same price segment is up to par. When I was in the market for a DSO that was not the case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Like which refineries? Be specific.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

1) There are no refineries closer to Canada. 2) You don't think there is value in refining gasoline? 3) You are one clueless f*ck.
Reply to
krw

Not my experience.

Even notice that "goggles" are only one? ;-) I like them because I can see the entire monitor(s) without moving my head.

I'll take another look. After Saturday, I'll probably need another pair. They're kinda scrawny, though. ;-)

That sucks. Glass is hard to find in water.

Reply to
krw