Charger

I have a set of wireless headphones with a charger. the charger is the same size as the 240v mains plug! (it is the mains plug in fact - embedded into it). How is that done? I assume there is no transformer but to step the voltage down without much heat?? I assume the current is very low of course.

H.

Reply to
HardySpicer

"HardySpicer"

** It just another example of a SMPS.

SMD components allow them to be made very small, when the output rating is only a couple of watts.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Probably a switching PS.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

as others have said

it's still got transformer, but it uses extra electronics to run it at a higher frequency, so it can use a much smaller transformer. (about the size of a sugar cube or two)

Reply to
Jasen Betts