CdS Photocells

FWIW, I did an experiment back in school that showed a suspiciously sqrt(t) dependancy in a one of those thingys. Supposedly I was supposed to measure R ~ t, but seemingly the larger voltage swing in my experimental setup did otherwise.

Do you do any modelling on amorphous or poly semis?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's something about trap states on grain boundaries, or ionic activation and diffusion for that matter.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Norway tried to ban that, until someone told them that if they did, they could become the first country to not have cellphones any more.

It is fortunate that the ban would have cause the disappearance (in Norway) of something that politicians care about. If it were only used in test equipment then they would have happily gone ahead.

The EU banned moving people near strong magnets in its Physical Agents directive, then discovered that it had banned MRI scanners, then asked member states to please not implement the ban yet whilst they try to dig themselves out of that hole.

It is a pity that laws about any subject are usually made by people who know the least about that subject.

Reply to
Chris Jones

My accurate fit of the R vs I curve on the Silonex datasheet yielded two exponents...

-0.930992 and -0.00573652

...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

This could just be just the way illumination and timing is specified.

Simple CDS sensors (dimmers etc) are roughly 50mS reducing R (on),

25mS rising R (off) based on 10 lux illumination.

For coupled sensors, turn-on can be an order of magnitude less, while turn-off time may be x10 to x100 greater (depending on load impedance), as the actual illumination levels and sensitivity are removed from consideration or control.

Dark current readings usually demand >5sec darkness, before measurement.

RL

Reply to
legg

Donati's "Photodetectors" has a section (5.6) on photoconductors. (I couldn't get google to kick up a few pages.)

If you don't find anything else, let me know I can click a few pics and post on dropbox... (The reference section has no (obvious) photo conductor references.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

when you think about what politicians actually do know, it is scary that we let them lead us.

Reply to
makolber

They pass so many stupid laws, most are ignored. I asked a British engineering team if our design would need to be CE tested, and they all broke up in laughter. One then kindly explained to this dumb Yank that CE means Can't Enforce.

lunatic fringe electronics

Why not test some?

lunatic fringe electronics

Three letters - AGW.

Reply to
krw

I'm sure it is. time constant was north of a second on the ones I used a long time ago. It varies hugely depending on R, which varies hugely depending on lux.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Shouldn't be hard to measure. Measure C in total darkness, and R in total darkness & sunlight, and take it from there.

I might be wrong but I'd expect mfrs to be wary of providing anything exact since they're not exact devices.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They could provide RANGES.

I suspect that manufacturers don't provide anything exact because they don't know what the hell they're making.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I took Donati to lunch. Photocondcutros are typically doped (making traps) for more gain but less HF response. CdS is typically doped with CdCl2 and CuCl2, copper is an acceptor and contributes trap states with a lifetime of ~50 ms.

CdSe is simialr to CdS but with a trap time of ~10 ms.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thinking about the physics I suspect the time constant is a non-linear function of the resistance, slowing rapidly as the resistance rises in response to removal of the light. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Lab equipment generally meets CE standards by default.

AFAIK, the only limitations they put on that sort of thing include operation within a shielded enclosure, filtered and surge-protected wiring, and stuff like that. Really it's your own fault if your test site sucks, and blows up your test equipment (or vice versa!).

So such equipment isn't required to meet e.g. IEC 61000-4 and such.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

No, I said R vs. t. In other words something suggestive of diffusion.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Ah, cool!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

The TC (according to Donati) is the lifetime of the trapped state. Different impurites have different trapping times..

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'd be interested in seeing some data (to see if I can fit it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

The problem is, there's quantum effects in the sensitivity and turnoff, and the carrier lifetime (of the promoted electrons) as well as the dark current and noise, depend on doping/contaminants/aging. The recombination of those charge carriers is potentially very complicated, and if you want something more than a simple model, the thinking cap has to come off the shelf (or the library card out of the wallet).

I'd expect the charge carriers to build at the same exponential-decay curve on turnon as at turnoff. Maybe, if you only care about the onset of turnon, you get the fastest rate because that depends on building up the charge carriers, while you get a slower rate at turnoff because there's more than one recombination time constant, from more than one conduction band? There might, for instance, be a metastable state related to dopants.

In any case, the manufacturer's data doesn't constitute a complete picture.

Reply to
whit3rd