CD/DVD tray jams

The question then becomes: "whose time is *right*?" :>

Can not understand the "fascination" (addiction??) with chocolate. Just isn't interesting to me. Even as a child, I would walk away from it. SWMBO, OTOH, has probably at least 3 different types on hand at any given time -- squirreled away in all sorts of nooks so she can "access it" on demand!

Ice cream is a win because you can change the flavor and still get the same overall "experience" (mouth-feel, etc.). Almond chocolate chip with almonds, butter pecan (1/4 lb of butter in a qt of cream!), etc. And, my body must have a problem metabolizing it as when I get on an "ice cream binge", I lose weight pretty rapidly. (of course, that could be because *all* I end up eating is ice cream :-/ )

I'm not fond of "birds" -- turkey, duck, pheasant, chicken, etc. But, SWMBO pushes a lot of chicken so I've found numerous ways to disguise it and get the meal over with promptly.

Sunday Lunch is "The Pork Dish" -- a pseudo-oriental meal of thinly sliced, marinated pork tenderloin strips stir-fried and served with bamboo shoots and diced scallions. Very tender and tastey -- so it only takes a few minutes to wolf it down (remember: I eat to live so it's more of a "chore" than anything else).

My "special" meal would have to be baked super/extra-colossal (5-10 per pound) shrimp stuffed with crab meat served in a pool of melted butter. But, it's a real chore to prepare, expensive (about $25-30 per person "if made in your own kitchen") and you can almost *hear* your heart struggling with each successive jolt of butter! :< If I had it more than once per year I would probably grow to RESENT the richness. :-/

Reply to
Don Y

Den onsdag den 22. juli 2015 kl. 14.19.32 UTC+2 skrev Baron:

sauce made from duck and roux is pretty much unbeatable

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Lasse Langwadt Christensen prodded the keyboard with:

+1
--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Hi Don, Don Y prodded the keyboard with:

In the grand scheme of things, neither ! It's simply a convention to account for the fact that the earth rotates with respect to an effectively stationary star. You exist at exactly the same instant as I do.

I'm in the SWMBO camp :-) Sorry :-)

Ice cream is fine, but it has to be Italian Gelato !

I enjoy seafood too, though I'm not suposed to eat it any more, along with cheese...

I've come to the conclusion that if you enjoy any particular food, or drink, then its bad for you :-)

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 20:24:13 +0100, Baron Gave us:

Same instant, but with a different twist...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
[attrs elided]

Yup. It's actually enlightening to think about how time

*should* be represented -- especially in terms of how machines deal with time.

E.g., if I have an appointment at 1:00PM on Friday, then, chances are, I want to use some universally accepted notion of "current time" upon which to base that scheduling event.

OTOH, if I state that the appointment is "24 hours from now" (assuming it to be approximately 1:00PM on THURSDAY), then that's entirely different!

Consider how both of these interpretations change a minute later when I decide that my local "clock" is off by 37 minutes. In the first case, the appointment is *still* at 1:00PM Friday. In the second case, the appointment is now 23:22 hours from now! (So, having recorded it as "24 hours in the future" -- when I initially recorded that -- is no longer correct)

No skin off my back! I simply don't see the appeal of that flavor/neurochemistry. And, as much as I love ice cream, I can (and do!) easily live without it for months at a time... never actually "craving" it.

[SWMBO would literally panic if she ran out!]

Gelato is a lot more work -- e.g., making the custard before freezing. I can hack together a batch of ice cream in 15 minutes if I opt to "still freeze" it. Given that I can eat it in a similar amount of time, it's hard to justify spending more time (and having to wait longer for that end result!).

I would really like to learn how to make fine granitas. But, I suspect it requires special machinery; not the sort of thing you could do in an average kitchen.

SWMBO is allergic to shellfish so shrimp (of any kind) would end up being a "selfish" meal. Hard to justify that much effort when your partner can only watch (and drool).

There is a "Cardiologist's Diet" that claims: if it tastes good, spit it out! :> While this sounds tongue-in-cheek, there is actually some merit to it! Fats and sugars (and salt) tend to drive our pleasurable tastes. Neither are particularly good for us (beyond "moderation").

Somewhere, I read that one rationalization for why we so enjoy these "food components" is because they were relatively scarce in or diet in evolutionary terms and our bodies learned to horde them. E.g., very little fat in a vegetarian diet -- have to wait to kill some animal for that! Likewise, intense sugars come from fruits and honey -- far less common than other foodstuffs.

Dunno. However, I *do* know that the baked goods that I prepare that tend to have the highest total concentrations of fats and sugars tend to be the ones that "go down quickest"! :>

For the holidays, I prepare cookie platters for friends/neighbors. One of the cookies that I've started distributing is incredibly sweet (an almond flavored drop cookie). But, it's easy to make in very large uantities (when you are preparing several hundred dozen cookies in a week's time, you look for ways to get lots of yield for your effort!)

Without exception, everyone complains, "My god! That's way too sweet!" I just grin and watch them eat a second... third... fourth... fifteenth... Eventually, they get *disgusted* with themselves ("why can't I stop eating these damn things???") and want to know what (drug?) I put in the mix to cause them to eat so many of something that they *claimed* to not like??

Reply to
Don Y