catfish

Once the Gulf of Mexico Redfish was a trash fish; lots of people would hook them and, seeing what they had, threw them back in. Then some fat furry guy named Paul Prudhomme opened K-Paul's, a sleazy restaurant on Chartes Street in New Orleans' French Quarter and started serving Blackened Redfish, and the species got close to extinction.

You probably can't get redfish, but catfish works as well, maybe better.

Buy a jar of PP's Blackened Redfish Magic spice stuff. Get a large, thick skillet and set it over a gas fire, set to max, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, no rush, take two nice catfish fillets at room temp, slather them with melted butter, and cover well with Mr P's stuff. Now fry the fish in the hot skillet until both sides are moderately black. If the fillets are thick, you can reduce heat and cover for a few minutes to let it cook through.

Have plenty of cold beer on hand; you'll need it.

Dessert suggestion: Larkin's Custard Bread Pudding.

John

I don't know what other readers see but in the sponsored ads window above John's post there is a thing from ebay hawking "New and used cod fillets."

Reply to
dB

Some of the search engines take anything you type and create a click-through from it. So "elephant bras" becomes a box "Get your elephant bras at discountcameras.com" or something.

Silly.

John

I've heard recently that they've now got 8 oz beers down there as well as the [fast chug so it doesn't get warm] 10 oz can.

At any rate, IMO, Cajun seasoning (like you mention) is the only way to *fry* a fish. Especially those fishy tasting fresh water things like catfish. Louisianna Fish Fry comes to mind. Gal in a northern states market fed me a sample once.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Arrgh !! be a man !! Make your own sauces and marinades.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull