Cap labeled 100 16F, is 16F the voltage?

Here's a picture of two caps, one labeled 100 16F and the other 22 16F. Is the F the voltage?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Likely 100 uF 16V, and the F means something else. Measure one!

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The capacitance is easy, my concern is the voltage rating of the capacitor.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Well can you measure what voltage is across the cap when the circuit is turned on?

GH

Reply to
George Herold

No, I'm salvaging an smd cap of of a used junk computer mother board for a friend doing a repair. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I believe 16 is the voltage, F is for lead free. Could be wrong, I really hate these cryptic codes on SMD components, if they even bother to put a value on. I need a freakin crib sheet for SMD resistors with the EIA-96 codings. JC

Reply to
JC

Everyone needs a crib sheet for those and smd transistors, regulators fets. Somebody tell Winfield that needs to be in his book! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Why, when you write "mesure one", I read "blow one up"?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

You can creep up on the voltage across an electrolytic and note the leakage current, to estimate the voltage rating. That (unfortunately) doesn't require exploding anything. I have seen polymer aluminum caps that died suddenly, around 1.5x rated voltage, with no current increase as a warning.

Can I borrow your car?

(Awaiting a measured response to that one.) ;)

It could be an ex-Fiat!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Even easier. Motherboards don't have anywhere near 100V on them.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Samwha RC series uses the F suffix, after the voltage, to identify itself.

RL

Reply to
legg

I met the my friend for breakfast he showed my the RC controller board he was repairing. I'm not sure if he can fit the 22uf cap in the position where it needs to go. The cap I have is 0.2" in diameter. I didn't get to see the original, so I don't know the style. Oh well, I tried, he can order it.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx