Can SLA battery be charging and supplying simultaneously?

Will the 6V Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery be charging if I supplied

6VDC supply to my load (6V) which is in series with my SLA battery?

What I want to achieve is to charge my SLA battery in the presence of the DC supply as well as supply voltage to my load.

In the absence of the DV supply, the battery will supply the voltage.

Will my layout below possible to achieve above?

  • ---- + ----- + | |
6VDC SLA LOAD | | - ---- - ----- -

I hope someone can give me some professional advice before i do my connections.

Thanks

Reply to
ultrakiasu

No. You need to supply at least 6.6V to move any significant charge into the battery.

Do some surfing. There have been multiple threads describing how to do the switching.

...Jim Thompson

It depends entirely on how much current (amperes) the load is consuming and how much the charger is delivering.

Reply to
mc

The quick answer is no. But your concept is okay. Millions of automobiles are operating this way as we speak.

It's just that the charged SLA battery has a nominal open circuit voltage of ~2.15 V per cell. So you need a voltage over three times this to begin to drive current into the battery.

I suggest you DAGS for SLA battery charging.

Reply to
Wes Stewart