Lead Acid Battery Bulging

Hello, I have two 12v 10Ah lead acid batteries that an electric scooter runs on. I lost the original charger and have been trying to use a car battery charger I had laying around. When doing each battery individually, they charge normally. However, I tried doing both batteries (in parallel), one started "bulging." Also, the bulging battery was very hot after charging, which may be the cause of the bulging (plastic + high temps = not good.) But the other battery was fine.

The charger is rated 8A @ 12/6V. It's built-in ammeter says that when I put both batteries on in parallel, only about 7A is drawn; if that helps.

The charger is supposed to shut off when they are done charging, but they never "charge" until they no longer draw any current. The lowest the ammeter goes is 2A when they are on there. I have no idea if this is normal.

What's going on here?

Thanks, Zach

Reply to
Zach Zaborny

helps.

Have the batteries been left empty for any length of time? That's the fastest way to kill lead acid batteries. If these are wet cells then it's best to leave them on a charger which has a float charge mode between use.

I think I would be tempted to measure how each battery performs by discharging it to say 50% capacity using 12V bulbs. (eg draw 5A for 1 hour). If the voltage on one is much lower than the other while on discharge or gives out before it reaches 50% then it's probably suspect and due for replacement.

Reply to
CWatters

--
Read (6) on the last page of:

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/images/pdf/Panasonic_VRLA_ChargingMethods.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

sounds like to me one of the batteries already had a good charge in it and was getting drained off very fast, or was getting charged very fast by the other etc.. try using high amp Diodes to isolate them, your charger should have enough to get over the average .7 volt drop.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

An ordinary, low cost automotive battery charger is very bad news fo relatively small sealed lead-acid batteries. They are usually just transformer, rectifier, and ammeter with a switch to select nominal or 12 volt batteries. The charge rate is potentially too high fo small sealed batteries and, in the absence of active voltag detection and control, the final voltage is controlled only by th (fluctuating) line voltage and the turns ratio on the transformer.

The manufacturers design the transformer to provide adequate chargin

of an automotive starting battery in a reasonable time, whic requires a voltage that is high enough to force 8 amps (for your uni and mine) through the combined voltage drops of the low battery, th rectifier, the ammeter resistance, and the clamp and cabl resistance

The no-load voltage of the transformer-rectifier has been designed fo

this condition, but in the absence of active control, that voltage i too high for the final charging of a sealed battery. The result i that excessive current is forced through the battery during and afte the final "topping-off" stage, boiling off water that is no replaceable in a sealed cell. The 2 amps or so continuous termina charging current after full charge is acceptable in a flooded cel car battery because the rate of loss of water and heating of th battery are tolerable. The water can be easily replaced in non-sealed battery and the bulk of the battery limits the temperatur rise

Proper voltage detection and control is fairly critical and shoul

ideally be temperature compensated because the desirable voltag limits are a function of battery temperature

Actually, a discharged lead-acid battery can tolerate a moderatel

high charge rate below a certain temperature-dependent voltag because most of the energy is going into the chemical reaction, no in boiling off the water. It is important to reduce the chargin current at the boiling threshold voltage because that is the point a which water loss and excessive heating begins. Note that th Panasonic document cited above recommends a charging current limit o

40% of the amp-hour capacity of the battery, or 4 amps for your 1 amp-hour batteries. They also recommend limiting the voltage to 2.4 V/cell.

It is always a bad idea to charge batteries in parallel unless the

are known to be identical because any imbalance will result i unequal division of charging current between the batteries. If th current output of the charger exceeds the safe charging current fo either battery individually, damaging current can be driven throug the weaker battery. Even charging presumably identical batteries i parallel is risky because, at some point in their useful lives, on will become weaker than the other and hog current

Unless you have the ability, knowledge and patience to monitor an

control the voltage and current with external instruments, I thin you will save money by investing in a smart charger optimized fo your batteries and charge them separately.

Good luc

awrigh

Reply to
awright