SLA battery orientation

Hi all, I would like to know if I could position a SLA battery without limitations, I mean if I can lay down or I have to keep it vertical. I need to put it into a robot and charge it onboard. TIA,

Giuseppe Marullo

Reply to
news.tin.it

limitations,

Check manufacturers data sheet.

Reply to
CWatters

Hi, I found something googling around, but nothing too authoritative:

- all orientations except upside down for extended periods

- all orientations except when charging

Could please someone knowledgable shed some light on this?

TIA,

Reply to
Giuseppe Marullo

--
1. Bottom post.

2. As someone else suggested, get the manufacturer's data sheet.

3. If you can't do that, get a lot of other manufacturers' data
   sheets and see what they have to say about it.
Reply to
John Fields

An SLA battery will be ok to use in a hobby robot (eg Robot wars) where you are just worried about accidents. For example I have an SLA battery in my hands right now and I can turn it upside down and squeeze the case, shake it ets and it doesn't leak.

If you are designing a professional product/application and the battery will be upside down for long periods then you do need to check the data for the particular make and model of battery you are using.

Batteries sold as Sealed Lead Acid are typically Valve Regulated and normally only vent under extreem conditions...

Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) Batteries Also called Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries. This construction is designed to prevent electrolyte loss through evaporation, spillage and gassing and this in turn prolongs the life of the battery and eases maintenance. Instead of simple vent caps on the cells to let gas escape, VRLA have pressure valves that open only under extreme conditions. Valve-regulated batteries also need an electrolyte design that reduces gassing by impeding the release to the atmosphere of the oxygen and hydrogen generated by the galvanic action of the battery during charging. This usually involves a catalyst that causes the hydrogen and oxygen to recombine into water and is called a recombinant system. Because spillage of the acid electrolyte is eliminated the batteries are also safer.

Reply to
CWatters

Perhaps take a look at an SLA battery that uses glass mat technology such as Yuasa's NP series..

"Usable in any orientation (except continuous inverted)"

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks all,

this is all the info I got about the battery:

Catalog with tech data (Model ELB 18-12 Lead-Calcium Battery 12v 17Ah, page

9 italian sorry):

There is nothing here about orientation.

The robot is hobby one but I would ideally leave it unattended, so security on all conditions must be met, including charging and venting. It seems clear that upside down is a no go (thanks for the links), but what about on one side(the one I was most interested to lower the center of gravity) even when charging and or venting.

Giuseppe Marullo

PS: I could change battery but not chemistry, so I would have the same question with others SLA batteries. If I had to switch to other type I would rather go with Litium ones (much more expensive tough).

as

Reply to
Giuseppe Marullo