CAD software

Now that WinDraft / WinBoard have gone out of business --- what are some good low $$ CAD software packages?

Ideas much appreciated.

Reply to
Jim Lacko

*+pipex-com-ECADList

Reply to
JeffM

Try Kicad. it rund on Windows and Linux. Fine it at:

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Check out Eagle

It's user interface is a bit of a challenge for new users, but the user programming language and scripting can make a lots of repetitive things much easier.

--
James T. White
Reply to

This is a free PCB and schematic program.... I have not played with it yet, but now that it has help in English, I am going to see how it looks.

Jim Pennell

Reply to
Jim

Well.. Depending how much your time is worth versus how much you want to spend:

This type of solution is good for me since my time is fairly worthless. Some of the items can be compiled under win32 w/ cygwin (PCB can:

Smack'n Rat

Sorry that I didn't get around to posting this earlier - for a while this used to be the inevitable first response to this sort of question. Terry lists some sixty program.

---------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

It does take a while to learn the keyboard shortcuts and such, but once you do a few boards it is very fast to use. I wouldn't switch to anything else even if it were not for the price issue. I really like the text based file formats. They allow me to script things like footprint generation.

-- Darrell Harmon

dlharmon