Cable box data at cable company.

I swapped out the 3 way splitter which Liebermann said was probably not a 3 way, damn if he wasn't right! :-) It is two- 2 way splitters, with my tap off the first one. So I but a barrel connector in, now I have a straight run from the pedestal. The tv pixelated and lost audio within minutes. I checked the diagnostics.

Spec Before After

Tuner 537MHz -5dbmv to -11dbmv -3dbmv to -8dbmv FDC 75.25MHz Unavailable Unavailable RDC 16.5 MHz 39dbmv 36dbmv No, I didn't reverse the 39 and 36.

More signal did not help the problem.

The signal variance up and down within a couple minutes does bother me.

Second, in researching, I found an old post I made when the box was new, I had problems when the box was first installed that magically resolved themselves.

Note; my signals are higher and I did get the TDC reading back then.

Oh, my guestimate of cable length was a little low, I measured it at

155ft.

My best guesses are the cable has water in it causing the variable signal and pixelation problems, or the box is failing causing the intermittent up and down signal readings and pixelation.

Btw, both ends of the cable are in waterproof enclosures, but short section of the length was looped under saltwater for an extended period.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 09:33:56 -0500, amdx Gave us:

The only thing that can cause "pixelation" or other visible "artifacts" (the right term for it) in an mpeg encoded digital signal is BER being higher than about 10%.

The only other way is if it is what was actually transmitted by the channel provider or the cable company down-resing it to save bandwidth (which is also fairly common).

They put damaged signals on the system all the time, because they used to have a QA guy sit there "scanning the band" in the past. They do not so much any more as there are too many channels. So quality went down and the price went up.

Get ready for 8k... Sure...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

have you got an insulation tester? (disconnect both ends first)

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to