BT139 & MOC3063

In message , dated Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Phil Allison writes

The OP's schematic shows a transistor. So I was misled.

Yes, but I don't know which sort every type number is.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

"John Woodgate"

** BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The device number is in the BLOODY HEADING !!!

John Popelish GAVE YOU the link for it to help you.

Then ** YOU ** f****ng snipped it out of sight without looking at it !!!

YOU PATHETIC PITA PRICK !!!!

** Streeeeeeeeeeeeeewth !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a scaly, room temp cretin !!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In message , dated Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Phil Allison writes

I didn't receive any such article.

Do you really have to get so apoplectic about a simple mistake, however reprehensible?

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

you can try out this link:

OR

Omid

Yes , no changes... Lamp & Motor

Yes

sorry i don't know any parameters of my motor. it's used in the kitchen hoods.

Reply to
Omid

I am almost disappointed with MOC3063.

do you any replacement ?

Reply to
Omid

Are you sure it's a MOC3063?

Is anything connected to pin 5? Pin 5 must not be connected.

Does the MOC3063 get hot?

Can you destroy a brand new device using only the lamp?

This is a real long shot - but what about connecting a high-value resistor across the LED, in case there is a problem with static?

I don't know what else to suggest.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Use a relay.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"JohnWoodgate" Phil Allison

** Mr Woodgate - you are damnable, bloody LIAR.

You not only DAMN WELL received it - you REPLIED to it !!

John Popelish posted:

-----------------------------------

John Woodgate wrote: (snip)

There is no transistor. See:

-----------------------------------

Woodduck replied:

In message , dated Sun,

10 Sep 2006, John P>(snip)

PHOTOtransistor, then. Gordon Bennet!

-------------------------------------

** That was no simple mistake, but something a *great deal worse*.

You can expect no sympathy whatever from me for your daily diminishing mental condition - Woodgate.

Far as I am concerned - you and your ilk can go straight into hell.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Curious.

It doesn't work in Netscape ( still ) but it does work in Opera !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

[ snip ]

John, there's little Phil Allison enjoys more than hanging someone out to dry, however justified, and however legitimate.

There's little we enjoy less than seeing him do it.

As for Omid's problem, I note the BT139 triac has much less sensitive gates than the ones I like to use. I'm guessing, but it could be his 390-ohm gate resistor is too high (btw, the datasheet suggests 360 ohms), which means the BT139 would turn on at higher AC-cycle voltages, stressing the moc3063's output triac. If I were Omid, I'd try 180 ohms for the top resistor and see what happens. Actually, I'd break out my scope with AM503 and current probe, and explore a few hundred turn-on voltage and current waveforms, but changing various part values by 2x and running the experiment can suffice.

This scene, with one triac driving another's gate off the ac line, is a tricky one - what happens when the second triac's gate is turned on at the top of the ac cycle? A rather high gate current flows, but it's assumed that the turnon happens quickly, reducing the voltage, so a high current flows only a short while. Here the beauty of the moc3063 is its internal zero-crossing switching machinery, taking the turnon ugliness inside the moc3063. Nonetheless, we may have to coddle the moc3063 a bit, as it handles this difficult task.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes

No

No

Reply to
Omid

I'm no expert on this topic, but eternal hellfire seems a bit much for this offense (assuming that John's newsreader has not mysteriously started deleting URLs from the posts he reads, and a "diminishing mental condition" can be considered an offense).

Surely there is something more proportional. A shrug, perhaps.

That said, make no mistake about how pleased I am to see you defend my small part in this little drama. Thanks for that.

By the way, what or who is a "Gorden Bennet!" and what does it have to do with my small contribution?

Reply to
John Popelish

In message , dated Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Phil Allison writes

Not intentionally. I had totally forgotten it.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

In message , dated Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Winfield Hill writes

Oh, I know; I've been here before.

Indeed. Anyway, I made two mistakes. One more and I'll have to go away for two weeks to do standards work. From next Sunday, in fact.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

In message , dated Tue,

12 Sep 2006, John Popelish writes

It's now an expression of exasperation, but the story is not a long one.

James Gordon Bennett was an eccentric American who behave outrageously in public. One favourite excess was to go into a restaurant and pull tablecloths and dishes on to the floor. There is stuff about him on the Web; the stories vary a lot, as do the meanings assigned to the words.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

Hmm, is that good or bad for engineers?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Web

Gordon Bennett!

Meaning

An exclamation of surprise - one of the many euphemisms that avoid the use of the word God.

Origin

James Gordon Bennet II, 1841 - 1918 is the man referred to, and was quite a colourful character. One of his many reported exploits was an incident where he flew an aeroplane through an open barn. The surprised onlookers were supposed to have said 'That was Gordon Bennett!', and hence onward to the current shortened phrase. Became popular again during the 1980s but is again falling out of use.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It'll be around 20 - 40 VA probably. It can be speed controlled.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

He was related to Gordon Bleugh, the celebrity chef, and of course Chinese Gordon, the British general who died in Africa. Life's never simple.

Reply to
Paul Burke