Brushed DC motor driver

Hello all, I have a 24VDC 1A brushed DC motor, but I have a 28V power supply. I was wondering if I could use zener diodes to regulate the voltage down to 24V. This seems doable until I consider changing the polarity to switch the motor direction. Does anyone know of a creative design that uses zeners that would allow me to still switch motor direction?

Any help would be great.. Thanks, Lucas.

Reply to
lmcgill2

You could put 4 diodes and a bridge in series with the motor: (view with fixed-width font)

+---+ | | .-----. | V A -|~ +|---+ - B -|~ -|---+ | '-----' | | | V | - | | | | | V | - | | | | | V | - +---+

Diode rating depends on the motor specifications (including stall conditions).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Or put a zener (or a TL431) where you have the four diodes.

...Jim Thompson

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn\'t be called research...
                    -- Albert Einstein

See figure 21 for how to boost a TL431A to a few Amps ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

3.1 3.1 motor --->Z---Z
Reply to
Jasen Betts

28V supply ---> Zener ----> reversing switch -----> motor
Where am I going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thanks for the replies, the issue we're having is that the polarity switching must happen "before" the voltage step down. So the circuitry must be able to work independent of the polarity. See below

______________________ | | ________ (+28)------| |-----(+24)-----| | | Voltage Regulation | | Motor | CW Rotation (Gnd)------| |-----(Gnd)-----|-------| | | ----------------------

______________________ | | ________ (Gnd)------| |-----(Gnd)-----| | | Voltage Regulation | | Motor | CCW Rotation (+28)------| |-----(+24)-----|-------|

We need to place the voltage regulation circuit "between" the 28V and the motor knowing that the 28V may switch in order to switch the direction of the motor. Does this make sense?

Again, any idea would be great. We're trying to keep the number of parts to a minumum (due to PCB size requirements) thats why I thought zeners would be the easiest.

Thanks again, Lucas.

Reply to
lmcgill2

A requirements change this late in the project is going to cost you.

You'll have to use two zeners, two diode strings, etc.

Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hey! It's the standard 780x/PMP booster circuit, sideways! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi