Brushed Servo Motor Driver: 3A

I'm looking for a servo motor driver to drive a ~3A continous brushed DC motor. Voltage will most likely be 24-48. The motor driver has to accept a +/-10v input which I am told is a 'standard.' This input translates to likely motor velocity/current.

I'm using the Baldor NextMove ESB (which has 3 axis of servo motor control)

to control a much larger servo controller (15A continous). In addition I have two other motors that I need drivers for.

Anyone have any suggestions? Baldors drivers for these smaller motors are a bit of an over kill. I need to find motor drivers that can handle this current range and accept this standard +/- 10v input.

Thank you.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I did an analog MDA for a film machine with brush 'pancake' motors. Normal forward run maybe 3-5 volts at 1A but during shuttle with a 2000 foot load it can hit 20 volts with momentary peaks of 35 amps (OK, it was a full speed forward to full reverse to see if it blows up. It doesn't). The amplifier itself looks VERY much like a big audio unit with 4 17 amp transistors in parallel on the + and - 35V rails. The main difference is the feedback comes from ground return resistor(s) of the motor rather than the output. Its just a big transconductance amp.

Setting the control range to +/- 10 V is one resistor value.

For efficiency, class-D amplifier would be a lot better but it really isn't a problem with analog in this machine.

Good luck on this. GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

You could try:

They make fairly robust DC motor controllers which easily handle your power requirement, though usually the control comes from a pot e.g. throttle grip, not a servo system. On some of their pages they refer to modifications for use in servos.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones