Breaking: SCIENTISTS: THE CORONAVIRUS HAS ALREADY MUTATED INTO 30+ STRAINS

"One strain, for example, appeared to generate 270 times the viral load ? ?? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the virus ? than the least potent strain."

Whew- super bad news! For one thing that means a vaccine may not help, espe cially in older/weaker immune systems. They will be overwhelmed with viral damage quickly.

This stuff with the endothelial cells lining the blood vessels getting infe cted is super-bad.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 10:42:55 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the vir us? than the least potent strain."

Not too bad; the knowledge of thirty strains that all seem viable is good n ews. That means the vaccine designers have thirty examples of variations that their target vaccine oughtt not depend on. Alternately, it could be fought with multip le different vaccines; having a sample of each strain makes the testing protocols for vaccines more reliable, as well.

We understood previous diseases more poorly, yet developed vaccines for the m, since the 1700s.

Reply to
whit3rd

Which occasionally worked. The 18th C smallpox ingrafting thing was done out of desperation--the Montagus found out about it from the Turks.

Taking pus from smallpox sores, carrying it in walnut shells under your armpit, and then scratching it into the skin of presumably-vulnerable people isn't the sort of thing you'd do as a normal precaution.

Most of the vaccines developed for the 1918 'flu were worthless.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They even named the bacteria that was known to cause the flu.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 1:42:55 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the vir us? than the least potent strain."

That sounds like good news -- they've already identified a mild strain. If it's weak enough, that's almost a vaccine right there.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

d ? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the v irus? than the least potent strain."

od news. That means

get

ltiple

them,

Cuz they thought it was a bacteria. I guarantee you that if Louis Pasteur w as still alive at the time, they would have had an effective vaccine.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

News now is that smoking is protective against coronavirus.

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 7:56:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the vi rus? than the least potent strain."

They have the live virus deactivation down pat these days.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the vi rus? than the least potent strain."

news. That means

iple

hem,

Does this virus infect cows? If it does, we are in like Flynn!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 8:33:18 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

te:

ad ? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the virus? than the least potent strain."

Do they throw it in handcuffs or do they use the zip ties?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

d ? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the v irus? than the least potent strain."

od news. That means the vaccine designers have thirty examples of variati ons that their target vaccine ought not depend on. Alternately, it could be fought with multiple different vaccines; having a sample of each strain makes the testing protocols for vaccines more reliable, as well.

them, since the 1700s.

You've skipped Jenner's innovation, which is exactly what we did as a norma l precaution until we finally got rid of small pox completely

Jenner's vaccination used infection with cowpox - a related virus - to gene rate antibodies that also attacked small-pox. It was the first attenuated v irus innoculation scheme, not that Jenner knew about viruses.

He'd noticed that dairymaids didn't get small pox, but had got cow-pox from the cow that they'd milked , and took it from there. Brilliant empirical t hinking.

Influenza mutates fast enough that today's flu vaccines change from one flu season to the next, and only provide partial protection.

Using the right antigen to generate the right kind of antibody might work b etter.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

d ? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the v irus? than the least potent strain."

But if you get infected anyway, the damage smoking has done to your lungs m akes you more likely to die of it.

Granting John Larkin's gullibility, this is probably propaganda being circu lated by pro-tobacco fake news industry. They long since moved over to tell ing us that climate change wasn't real, but some of the veterans may be hav ing a nostalgia trip.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Handcuffs. Check out the structure of beta-propiolactone, which is one chemical used for deactivation!

mikko
Reply to
Mikko OH2HVJ

mal precaution until we finally got rid of small pox completely

nerate antibodies that also attacked small-pox. It was the first attenuated virus innoculation scheme, not that Jenner knew about viruses.

om the cow that they'd milked , and took it from there. Brilliant empirical thinking.

You say "he'd noticed" but he was *told* by the dairymaids that once you ha d cowpox you couldn't get small pox. But he did make the excellent connect ion to intentionally infecting people with cowpox to prevent the often fata l small pox disease.

"The record shows that it was there that Jenner heard a dairymaid say, ? ??I shall never have smallpox for I have had cowpox. I shall never have an ugly pockmarked face.? It fact, it was a common belief that dai rymaids were in some way protected from smallpox."

This is a very interesting read. I didn't know that prior to this they ino culated people with smallpox to protect them from smallpox. Seems the natu ral death rate was 14% with the rest often having terrible scarring. From some reason those inoculated (which was called variolated) was only 2% and they seldom had the scarring. Was it something about the subcutaneous inoc ulation that made it a less severe case? Jenner himself had been variolate d.

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

I think I just got rickrolled.

Yeah, I don't recall seeing a square molecule before.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

I can think of a couple of possibilities:

- Route of infection. Smallpox was usually an airborn infection, if I recall properly... as with measles and COVID-19, simply being in the same room with an infectious person could getcha. This suggests that the commonest route of infection was into the respiratory tract... possibly at multiple sites in the lungs simultaneously. That could result in multiple points of establishment and a very rapid spread of the virus throughout the system.

For variolation, the virus would introduced subcutaneously at a single location. Perhaps it would take longer to spread widely into the system, and/or encounter a more robust portion of the immune system or elicit a stronger/faster response there?

- Possible difference in the virus itself, between viruses shed naturally from a contagious individual (often in the earlier stages of the infection) and viruses sampled from a smallpox lesion in the skin?

One classic way of weakening a virus (so it can be used for a vaccine) is to pass it through multiple generations of cell culture. Most commonly, non-human cells are chosen for this. The resulting viruses are "attenuated" - less able to cause disease in humans. If I recall correctly, the mechanism seems to be that the viruses must mutate in order to reproduce efficiently in the non- human host cells (changes to receptor-binding proteins?) and so the attenuation process preferentially selects for virus strains that are more poorly adapted to infect human cells.

Perhaps something roughly similar happens within the body of an individual patient, with the virus preferentially mutating/adapting to different cell characteristics?

I think the former is more likely than the latter, but both ideas may very well be wrong.

Reply to
Dave Platt

d ? meaning the infected person produces 270 times as much of the v irus? than the least potent strain."

od news. That means

get

ltiple

them,

The Brits used small pox against the American revolutionaries in the Revolutionary War. The British soldiers, coming from densely-populated areas, were largely immune; the rural Americans had often never been ten miles from the place of their birth, and were susceptible. Epidemic laid the Continentals low.

Washington responded with a secret (and illegal) vaccination program, variolation, which saved the day.

This is a fair account...

e_revolutionary_war.html

There's an old trope that Americans used the trick to wipe out the Indians, but it's not true. The one recorded incident of contaminated blanket-passing was in 1763, years before the revolution. British troops, besieged at Fort Pitt, tossed small-pox contaminated blankets over the fort's wall, hoping to decimate their foe, but there's no evidence the attempt succeeded.

e.g.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I was surprised at this and more than a little sceptical, but there seems to be some science behind it - at least concerning the role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors:

--

Jeff
Reply to

Far more effective was using trebuchets to launch recently deceased plague victims over castle walls to infect those holding out against a siege. Sounds like something out of Monty Python, but was actually used most famously in France in the late 1340s to make a crude bio-weapon out of the Black Death which was contemporaneously sweeping across Europe.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:r80vnb$3hc$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Lock up all of Trump's family and most of his cabinet down at Fl, and

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno