Branson ultrasonic power supply

I was given one. It is good for 400 watts at 20 khz. No schematic and no transducer.

Looking on Ebay, there are a bunch of transducers for higher frequencies at prices that are low enough to buy for experimenting. So does anyone have any experience with Branson power supplies? Anyone have a schematic?

It seems to be functional. The unloaded wave form is not a clean sine wave , but that could be partly the kludged voltage divider I made. The voltage in too high to go directly into my scope. Or it may be that it needs a load.

Or should I just Ebay it? They seem to sell on Ebay for more than I think is reasonable.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Hey, Dan - Ping MikeK on this group. He has experience in this. He might be able to steer you in a good direction.

Reply to
John S

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Branson units were the Cadillacs. If it works, it probably works very well.

What is the model number?

I have a working model B1200R-1 that I bought quite used for $90 in

2011.

Branson did publish schematics, before they were bought and absorbed, so it is possible to get the schematics.

Also useful are their patents. For the B1200R-1, the most useful patents I found were US 3,432,691 and 3,469,211.

The B1200R-1 unit is transformerless, but if one has an isolation transformer, one can use a scope on it. The voltage across the transducer is many hundreds of volts, enough to saturate the scope, even with a 10:1 probe (and to exceed its 300 Vac rating), so I built a simple voltage divided from half-watt carbon composition resistors, and was able to measure about 740 Vac at 50 KHz.

Joe Gwinn

The 20 KHz and 40 KHz transducers are *not* interchangeable.

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

It is a Sonifier 450.

Thanks, I will try harder.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Something is odd, I posted this yesterday but it's not on the group, my computer says it has been sent, but I don't see it here.

So to repeat, Not a lot I can tell you, I have some thick ceramics, but you would need to bond them to a faceplate and get much more involved than you probably want. If you get a transducer, you can wind an inductor to cancel the capacitance of the transducer and drive the resistance. but unless it has some adjustments for frequency, your best off to get an original transducer. Know of the company, but don't know their products. Sorry, Mikek

amdx

I finally looked it up. This is a sonicator, used to break cells up in biology. This unit is still made, and the probes can be bought.

The manual is available online.

This unit is not really intended for ordinary ultrasonic cleaning.

If it works, you should be able to sell it for a reasonable price - they cost $4.2K new.

.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I found the manual on line, but have not found the schematic. This one is the orginal, not the 450 d which has a microprocessor and digital display. I am willing to sell it to anyone at a reasonable price, but doubt anyone here wants it. I can find 20 khz piezo elements on Ebay for about $30.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster