I'm searching for tiny bottom-firing LEDs, preferably surface mount.
The LEDs are indicators for a multiport connector. The LEDs will fire through the PCB into some light pipes integrated into (and flush with the bottom of) the connector.
I'm after the following:
- The LEDs have to be tiny, as the lightpipes are close to each other and I want to to minimise bleed.
- Multicolour - at least Red and Green.
The closest I've come is this series from Everlight:but they're too big.
This part is representative of the sort of connector I'm using:The light pipe "entry ports" are visible in the picture as the eight shiny dark rectangles close to the electrical pins.
- About 6mm clearance below the board.
- to be placed by regular P&P equipment.
- preferably no special lead forming. I did this for some HP LEDs in the early '90s and (whilst it met my goals at the time) I would not like to do it again.
- not particularly cost sensitive (low volume)
- All the usual compliance (ROHS, etc.)
- I don't have a good idea of the Luminous Intensity requirement yet. I don't know how well the LED will couple to the lightpipe, nor do I know the lightpipe loss. Then there's the whole subjective brightness thing. I will probably end up doing this part empirically.