Book Printing

I've been waiting for something like that -- now I can have bound User's Manuals again!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I have just come across an interesting site, which presumably makes use of a fairly new printing technology. The tech in question is a machine that takes electronic document text and turns out a complete, bound, printed book. The quantities are almost irrelevant, whether it's one or ten thousand. This is not like the old style vanity press, as you will see if you examine the site in detail. To give one example, a 500 page book in black/white 8" x 11" will cost $14.55 (about £8) for one off. 100 copies will get you a 13% discount and 1000 22% ($11.30).

All rights retained by the author. Check out the site for more info

Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

That's what I've been thinking. Or at least that I can offer customers *extremely* impressive manuals compared to the photocopied crap they normally get (if they are lucky) from competitors.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Except that I wonder if they will accept such an arrangement. It looks as though they are willing to wave their own commission if you wave your own royalty... but... I suspect that only works if you are the originator of the work. I would guess they'd refuse to even start on a project where you are merely a consumer and want a one-off copy made of someone else's work. ("Just make sure you have the right to publish the material you upload, which might include model releases in addition to copyrights and permissions.") Maybe if you get written permission from the copyright holder?

They also will only perfect-bind 8.5 x 11, it seems. No hardcover.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

As my English teachers would say, "Compare and contrast"

Their homepage makes (a rare) effective use of an animated GIF (the other animated GIF is very gimmicky--as usual).

Reply to
JeffM