Bluetooth headset as performer's wireless mic?

Just musing about an idea of using a mobile phone bluetooth system in place of a more traditional FM wireless microphone. The former seem to be a lot cheaper, license free, and use smaller batteries.

Down side? I know some sound crap, but not all?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

All the ones I've heard are way too limited in frequency and dynamic response.

I don't specifically know about bluetooth, but algorithms designed for speech often do a poor job of producing sustained tones as needed in singing.

--
- Mike
Reply to

I'm still looking for an inexpensive Bluetooth system I can plug into my mp3 player and put on the earpiece so I can listen to talk radio without the cord. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:20:34 +0100) it happened Adrian C wrote in :

The sound of mine is not that great. There is the occasional break-up of the link too. I mean I tried feeding it into the PC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What sort of range are you looking for? I.e., singer to backstage transceiver is probably doable -- as long as the proscenium isn't huge. OTOH, singer to a soundboard located in the house is probably pushing things... (unless its located on/under the apron)

You might also want to think about what other noise sources you are contending with.

I think you will find most BT audio kit is geared towards use with cell phones where the signal quality inherently sucks. You *can* find decent stereo *headsets* but, IME, microphones tend to gravitate towards speech quality.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

There's a fair amount of latency with Bluetooth audio as well -- it can be upwards of 50ms depending on whose hardware you're using. If you take the received audio (after it's been changed back to analog again) and feed it to, e.g., stage monitors, it will likely throw off your muscians to the point where they won't be able to perform. :-)

Unfortunately the audio latency of any given Bluetooth transmitter/receiver pair is seldom given on the box, since they (1) don't want to look bad and (2) figure you're just streaming the music from your MP3 or CD player so it doesn't matter.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

???

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Looks like it is time to jump in and try it. Although, I didn't care for the stereo headphones, I was looking for just the single ear thingy. I want to look as silly as half the youngsters. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

It's on order, I'll let you know how ir works. Mike

Reply to
amdx