Good grief wire prices!!!

WTF is going on.

I used to buy 100ft spools of teflon insulated wire for work for about $30-40 a year or two ago. That was expensive. Prices are doubling every year or two.

I want some 100ft spools of 22ga teflon hookup wire for my home use, and the prices range from $66, $77, to $94 for Alpha 5855 at Mouser, Allied, and DigiKey respectively.

I'm having to consider Ebay, but I don't like to not know the ins. thickness, stranding, and other details. Some of the MIL stuff has

0.016in insulation, and I like 0.010in.

I wonder if I can do electronics without wire...

I used to buy jacketed surplus cable from junk electronics outlets, then strip the things to get the conductors.

Maybe I'll have to keep doing it. :-(

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I've found McMaster-Carr to be reasonable for wire. They have 100 ft = rolls=20 of PTFE stranded #22 wire with silver plated conductors for $51:

Another good source is Anaheim wire and cable:

I was shocked at the high prices for shielded pair wires.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Start POLITICAL RANT MODE

If we actually manufacturerd ANYTHING in America anymore, the wire would be cheaper. NO GDP, NO CHEAP...

END POLITICAL RANT MODE

Steve

Own Opinions Only! This is NOT the opinion of my Employer who provides my email.

Reply to
Owen Roberts

You may be correct, but the bigger issue is why things are rarely = produced=20 in the US anymore. One of the main problems is the combined expectations = of=20 American workers to get a high salary or hourly rate, and a big benefits =

package, while at the same time unwilling (or unable) to work hard, and=20 learn complex skills, and be productive. There is such an incredible = "safety=20 net" in the US that people do not really need to worry about starving or =

freezing on the street. There is a culture of laziness and indifference=20 toward education and ethics, so that it has become acceptable and=20 comfortable to rely on public assistance with no expectation of personal =

responsibility and contribution toward society.

Mexicans can and do work at physically demanding jobs 8 or more hours a = day,=20 while most Americans are not physically fit enough to do so for more = than a=20 few hours. And they economize by sharing living space, and send much of=20 their income to their truly needy families who would actually starve and =

die.

Workers in countries like China have a strong work ethic, and are = willing to=20 work for low wages because the alternative is severe hardship and=20 starvation. They are willing to use public transportation and live in=20 dormitories supplied by their companies and only visit their homes on=20 weekends. They also have a healthy spirit of fair competition which = enhances=20 the productivity of other companies. There are few "corporate raiders" = who=20 take over a company and follow a program which is designed for their own =

personal benefit and wealth, while driving the company into bankruptcy = and=20 failure within a few years, at which point they "abandon ship" and go on = to=20 other unethical and greedy conquests.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

A lot of people are moving to aluminium wiring. Unfortunately aluminium is hard to solder so we are screwed.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That's odd. The Bureau of Labor statistics show overall rising productivity, almost doubling since 1980. Using a shovel is easy. Learning to use a backhoe is hard but it's more productive.

Yep, all those lucky duckies eating government cheese. What a sweet life! I'm a'gonna quit my job and go on welfare.

and logic and reason.

Yeah dog, gimme them food stamps. No more arugula for me, nosiree bob.

I mean, hell, our moochers can sleep twelve to a bed, too. And then you don't need to buy as much heat in the winter. Win!

Yep, a minimum wage just makes them bums lazy. Once they're staving a little, they'll work for whatever they can get, you betcha.

And pee where they're standing, too, don't forget that. After a while they learn to hold it in. No more wasteful bathroom breaks on company time.

Also the spirit of solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Oh pshaw, that's the Invisible Hand at work.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

of

ety

ay,

ces

I'm all for letting more immigrants in; to work, pay taxes, become citizens, and take on a piece of the US debt. They'll have to buy some houses too.

George H

Reply to
George Herold

It's not hard to solder with a SnZn alloy and flux from Indium Corp.

I soldered some Al voice coil wires to flex PCBs that I redesigned for an electro-hydraulic arbitrary engine valve actuator and the solder flowed like butter onto the Al and the tin plated Cu.

The only trouble is, the wire isn't cored and the flux is corrosive and nasty toxic. So it wouldn't be suitable for general use.

But there is also no light gauge Al hookup wire (AFIK) for connecting stuff to little 0.025in square pin contacts etc.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

You do realize there is a difference between MFN that has to be renewed and permanent MFN?

"US Grants China Permanent Most Favored Nation Status

On December 27, 2001, US President George W. Bush decided to grant China permanent trade status, formerly called the ?most-favored-nation treatment.? Bush?s proclamation ended a long history of an annual review in the US Congress of China?s permanent trade status, removing a major obstacle to the development of bilateral economic relations and trade between the US and China. "

It is best not to argue with progressives since they have the facts to back up their statements. I invite you to leave the dumb s*****ad neocon tea-bagger club and join the elite educated progressives.

Reply to
miso

Only in that the permanent MFN doesn't require renewal. The "damage" had already been done. ...but you don't care about facts, as long as the right guy gets the credit.

It was long a done deal. Both parties were on board. Sorry, moron.

It's best not to argue with progressives (communists) because they never use facts.

Reply to
krw

At home in the lab I need at most, a few hundred feet of Teflon wire every year. I go to E-bay and get it real real cheap. Often it's obviously "cut out of" some previous application (in fact I like different colors so I often end up with hunks of multicolor harnesses), other times for just a little more money it's still on the original spool. Good enough for my projects at home.

At work it's different. Project didn't order enough spare conductors.

25 pair bundles have to be ordered, a few thousand feet continuous. Lead time on Tefzel like this is typically 9 months to a year. Yep, 9 months to a year. On most every project, the long pole in the tent is the Tefzel lead time.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

We use a lot of the PTFE-Polymide-PTFE wire- as you say, long lead times. Lots of folks are scared of Tefzel since this:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hmm We make Tefzel products, I have no idea if our products were in that that incident?

As for the PTFE (FEP) products, there is usually a maximum amount of material that can be processed per year in the US. The trick is to get your share and maybe some of the competitions share, before you hit the limit.

Then there is the import markets which also has a limit..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Nixon got China in the United Nations, but the backroom deal was to kick out Taiwan. Were you home schooled by tea baggers?

------- Oct 25, 1971:

In a dramatic reversal of its long-standing commitment to the Nationalist Chinese government of Taiwan, and a policy of non-recognition of the communist People's Republic of China (PRC), America's U.N. representatives vote to seat the PRC as a permanent member. Over American objections, Taiwan was expelled. The reasons for the apparently drastic change in U.S. policy were not hard to discern. The United States had come to value closer relations with the PRC more than its historical commitment to Taiwan. U.S. interest in having the PRC's help in resolving the sticky Vietnam situation; the goal of using U.S. influence with the PRC as diplomatic leverage against the Soviets; and the desire for lucrative economic relations with the PRC, were all factors in the U.S. decision. Relations with the PRC thereupon soared, highlighted by President Richard Nixon's visit to China in 1972. Not surprisingly, diplomatic relations with Taiwan noticeably cooled, though the United States still publicly avowed that it would defend Taiwan if it were attacked.

---------------------

I deal in facts. You deal in bullshit.

Reply to
miso

Ah, you admit that you're full of shit, now what to move the goal posts. Too bad, you've already been outed as an idiot.

You deal in lefty lies. When caught, change the subject. That's a lefty.

Reply to
krw

=20

review=20

=20

=20

Liberals/progressives knowledgeable? Hardly. They are even worse shitheads than neocons.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

about

and

Allied,

Aren't nutter tree hugger regulations great?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

You actually can lead a horse to water. However, you can't give a tea bagger knowledge and expect them to understand it.

I have bitched slapped you three times, yet you think you have won. Time to put down that meth pipe.

Reply to
miso

Look at Rhodes scholars and Nobel prize winners. All lefties.

Reply to
miso

A horse's ass lefty will always change the subject when challenged. ...then drop the context in a further attempt at obfuscation. You are indeed a lefty horse's ass.

What dumbfuck. You're about as bright as AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw