Good grief wire prices!!!

WTF is going on.

I used to buy 100ft spools of teflon insulated wire for work for about
$30-40 a year or two ago.  That was expensive.  Prices are doubling
every year or two.

I want some 100ft spools of 22ga teflon hookup wire for my home use, and
the prices range from $66, $77, to $94 for Alpha 5855 at Mouser, Allied,
and DigiKey respectively.

I'm having to consider Ebay, but I don't like to not know the ins.
thickness, stranding, and other details.  Some of the MIL stuff has
0.016in insulation, and I like 0.010in.

I wonder if I can do electronics without wire...

I used to buy jacketed surplus cable from junk electronics outlets, then
strip the things to get the conductors.

Maybe I'll have to keep doing it.  :-(

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I've found McMaster-Carr to be reasonable for wire. They have 100 ft =
rolls20%
of PTFE stranded #22 wire with silver plated conductors for $51:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-electrical-wire/3D%hu8em4

Another good source is Anaheim wire and cable:
http://catalog.anaheimwire.com/viewitems/wires/tfe-wires?forward3D%1

I was shocked at the high prices for shielded pair wires.

Paul20%

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!
Start POLITICAL RANT MODE

If we actually manufacturerd ANYTHING in America anymore, the wire
would be cheaper.
NO GDP, NO CHEAP...

END POLITICAL RANT MODE

Steve

Own Opinions Only! This is NOT the opinion of my Employer who provides
my email.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

You may be correct, but the bigger issue is why things are rarely =
produced20%
in the US anymore. One of the main problems is the combined expectations =
of20%
American workers to get a high salary or hourly rate, and a big benefits =

package, while at the same time unwilling (or unable) to work hard, and20%
learn complex skills, and be productive. There is such an incredible =
"safety20%
net" in the US that people do not really need to worry about starving or =

freezing on the street. There is a culture of laziness and indifference20%
toward education and ethics, so that it has become acceptable and20%
comfortable to rely on public assistance with no expectation of personal =

responsibility and contribution toward society.

Mexicans can and do work at physically demanding jobs 8 or more hours a =
day,20%
while most Americans are not physically fit enough to do so for more =
than a20%
few hours. And they economize by sharing living space, and send much of20%
their income to their truly needy families who would actually starve and =

die.

Workers in countries like China have a strong work ethic, and are =
willing to20%
work for low wages because the alternative is severe hardship and20%
starvation. They are willing to use public transportation and live in20%
dormitories supplied by their companies and only visit their homes on20%
weekends. They also have a healthy spirit of fair competition which =
enhances20%
the productivity of other companies. There are few "corporate raiders" =
who20%
take over a company and follow a program which is designed for their own =

personal benefit and wealth, while driving the company into bankruptcy =
and20%
failure within a few years, at which point they "abandon ship" and go on =
to20%
other unethical and greedy conquests.

Paul20%

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

That's odd. The Bureau of Labor statistics show overall rising
productivity, almost doubling since 1980. Using a shovel is easy.
Learning to use a backhoe is hard but it's more productive.

Yep, all those lucky duckies eating government cheese. What a sweet
life! I'm a'gonna quit my job and go on welfare.

and logic and reason.

Yeah dog, gimme them food stamps. No more arugula for me, nosiree bob.

I mean, hell, our moochers can sleep twelve to a bed, too. And then you
don't need to buy as much heat in the winter. Win!

Yep, a minimum wage just makes them bums lazy. Once they're staving a
little, they'll work for whatever they can get, you betcha.

And pee where they're standing, too, don't forget that. After a while
they learn to hold it in. No more wasteful bathroom breaks on company
time.

Also the spirit of solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Oh pshaw, that's the Invisible Hand at work.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

I'm all for letting more immigrants in; to work, pay taxes, become
citizens, and take on a piece of the US debt.  They'll have to buy
some houses too.

George H

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

A lot of people are moving to aluminium wiring. Unfortunately
aluminium is hard to solder so we are screwed.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

It's not hard to solder with a SnZn alloy and flux from Indium Corp.

I soldered some Al voice coil wires to flex PCBs that I redesigned for
an electro-hydraulic arbitrary engine valve actuator and the solder
flowed like butter onto the Al and the tin plated Cu.

The only trouble is, the wire isn't cored and the flux is corrosive and
nasty toxic.  So it wouldn't be suitable for general use.

But there is also no light gauge Al hookup wire (AFIK) for connecting
stuff to little 0.025in square pin contacts etc.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

"US Grants China Permanent Most Favored Nation Status

On December 27, 2001, US President George W. Bush decided to grant China
permanent trade status, formerly called the “most-favored-nation
treatment.” Bush’s proclamation ended a long history of an annual review
in the US Congress of China’s permanent trade status, removing a major
obstacle to the development of bilateral economic relations and trade
between the US and China. "

It is best not to argue with progressives since they have the facts to
back up their statements. I invite you to leave the dumb shithead neocon
tea-bagger club and join the elite educated progressives.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

Only in that the permanent MFN doesn't require renewal.  The "damage" had
already been done.  ...but you don't care about facts, as long as the right
guy gets the credit.

It was long a done deal.  Both parties were on board.  Sorry, moron.

It's best not to argue with progressives (communists) because they never use
facts.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

Nixon got China in the United Nations, but the backroom deal was to kick
out Taiwan. Were you home schooled by tea baggers?

-------
  Oct 25, 1971:

In a dramatic reversal of its long-standing commitment to the
Nationalist Chinese government
of Taiwan, and a policy of non-recognition of the communist People's
Republic of China (PRC),
America's U.N. representatives vote to seat the PRC as a permanent
member. Over American
objections, Taiwan was expelled.
The reasons for the apparently drastic change in U.S. policy were not
hard to discern. The
United States had come to value closer relations with the PRC more than
its historical
commitment to Taiwan. U.S. interest in having the PRC's help in
resolving the sticky
Vietnam situation; the goal of using U.S. influence with the PRC as
diplomatic leverage
against the Soviets; and the desire for lucrative economic relations
with the PRC,
were all factors in the U.S. decision. Relations with the PRC thereupon
soared,
highlighted by President Richard Nixon's visit to China in 1972. Not
surprisingly,
diplomatic relations with Taiwan noticeably cooled, though the United
States still
publicly avowed that it would defend Taiwan if it were attacked.
---------------------

I deal in facts. You deal in bullshit.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

Ah, you admit that you're full of shit, now what to move the goal posts.  Too
bad, you've already been outed as an idiot.

You deal in lefty lies.  When caught, change the subject.  That's a lefty.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!
You actually can lead a horse to water. However, you can't give a tea
bagger knowledge and expect them to understand it.

I have bitched slapped you three times, yet you think you have won. Time
to put down that meth pipe.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

A horse's ass lefty will always change the subject when challenged.  ...then
drop the context in a further attempt at obfuscation.  You are indeed a lefty
horse's ass.

What dumbfuck.  You're about as bright as AlwaysWrong.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

   On what scale?  Even 'Pico Ninny' is to coarse of an unit.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

Liberals/progressives knowledgeable?  Hardly.  They are even worse
shitheads than neocons.

?-)

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

Look at Rhodes scholars and Nobel prize winners. All lefties.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!
Trust me. I know way more electronics that you do. It isn't even a contest.

Have a nice day, and do try to avoid sticking your fingers in those
little plastic outlets on the wall. Someday you will learn their function.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!

At home in the lab I need at most, a few hundred feet of Teflon wire
every year. I go to E-bay and get it real real cheap. Often it's
obviously "cut out of" some previous application (in fact I like
different colors so I often end up with hunks of multicolor
harnesses), other times for just a little more money it's still on the
original spool. Good enough for my projects at home.

At work it's different. Project didn't order enough spare conductors.
25 pair bundles have to be ordered, a few thousand feet continuous.
Lead time on Tefzel like this is typically 9 months to a year. Yep, 9
months to a year. On most every project, the long pole in the tent is
the Tefzel lead time.

Tim.

Re: Good grief wire prices!!!
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 03:48:12 -0700 (PDT), the renowned Tim Shoppa

We use a lot of the PTFE-Polymide-PTFE wire- as you say, long lead
times. Lots of folks are scared of Tefzel since this:

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/sr111/photo.shtml

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany