Black box flight recorder - location signal?

Although it might make sense to have the pinger slow down some as the battery ages rather than ping every second for 30 days then stop dead. If it could last 300 days and ping every 10s that would help. Even better to slow down and then go back to 1 per second or even transmitting crucial data back at 1 bit/s on the channel if it gets hit hard by powerful active sonar (any decent military sonar would do).

I expect this disaster will cause them to add additional traffic to the Inmarsat routine ping along the lines of GPS position, speed and heading. Inmarsat are the only player who come out of this debacle well.

Agreed. I expect there is still a fair bit of secrecy though since the same sensor technology also applies to detecting "silent" submarines.

Used to secrecy and they suddenly found themselves like startled rabbits in the full glare of publicity when the story broke.

Not in the ping detection itself but I expect a fair amount of the tricks in signal processing remain classified even today.

A lot of it is in the open literature for radio astronomy if you know where to look since they also used advanced phased array methods.

The first initial detection appears to have been by a handheld underwater microphone and a Mk1 human ear too!

I hope they can get a decent fix on it before the batteries fail. (already on borrowed time)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Maybe for little chips. It's the CTE mismatch that has set the 2-cm die size limit for yonks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[...]

All of the hordes of talking monk... er, heads discussing the loss of this plane seem to assume that the "ping" will travel directly from the beacon to the receiving equipment, and that the received signal's bearing is a direct pointer to the beacon.

Now, I know little about real-life SONAR, but it seems like every book or movie about submarines has one hiding from someone else behind a "thermal incline" or something similar which makes two-way SONAR detection difficult or impossible. If the plane is underwater, aren't there thermal effects and currents which might refract the signal?

If so, could their effects be large enough to throw off the searchers?

Jes' curious.

Frank McKenney

--
  The point of statistics is not to do myriad rigorous mathematical
  calculations; the point is to gain insight into meaningful social

In practice all you can really hope to do is head in the direction of increasing intensity and cross your fingers. Once you have a couple of ships in the area getting a signal then you might do a bit better.

Just staying in the zone that can hear the signal seems to be a challenge although they have acquired it for a couple of hours.

Yes. You can even have what are in effect acoustic mirrors if there are suitable temperature inversions curving the sound down again.

A related problem in the air sometimes focusses wind turbine noise down onto a few unlucky folk because of wind shear in the boundary layer.

I expect in 4km of water against a rugged sea bed you could get all sorts of unhelpful focussing effects and multipath echoes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Please kill file me. I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
miso

I'm not sure what CTE has to do with it. There are die attached schemes that allow all sorts of expansion. Glass bead or silver glass die attach for instance. If you could make the chip, the package engineers will solve the problem of how to package it.

Note the effect of wafer defects depends on the current flow of the device. Lateral current flow devices are more tolerant than vertical current flow devices to wafer defects. That is one of the reasons that you don't find LSI bipolar chips, even if heat wasn't a problem. Trilogy was doomed from the start, but the venture capitalist don't know semiconductors. ;-) VCs want moon shots, not more of the same old tech. But there are real life barriers.

Now if you invented some cheap laser annealing system to "heal" the wafer, then maybe chip size could increase.

Reply to
miso

I used to work in the packaging department at IBM Research. Even with the best available underfills, temperature gradients and CTE mismatch led to reliability problems with the corner C4s on chips larger than 15 mm, and 20 mm was the outer limit. It was a bit easier in the PbSn days.

IIRC memory chips usually have redundant rows so that dead ones can be turned off without hurting the yield. Multicore processors are much the same--you can get 8-core or 12-core versions, and it's the same silicon in many cases. The only difference is that cores that flunk get turned off.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are SCRs and diodes the size of your head. As I recall, the hockey puck construction goes something like, tinned copper end plates, molybdenum bonding pads, silicon die/wafer, ceramic surround.

SCRs and diodes, of course, being much more tolerant of things than fine scale VLSI. I'm not sure if they're making IGBTs that big yet; even the "smaller" ~1000A modules usually use smaller dies bonded together, though that may just be for the "high speed" ones.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

I don't deal with those devices directly, but of course, we all have the interwebs. Going though the ABB website, there are devices in the 10mm to

13mm on s aize range, say have an inch. Big, but I have a bigger head. ;-)
Reply to
miso

I'd say 20mm on a side is a big ass chip. Doing a quick check, a haswell is about 13mm on a side.(well if were square)

Redundancy is one way to get around yield issues. Those RAMs used to have laser fuses. I haven't kept track of that technology. But I was at a static RAM company and back in the day they would test the wafers, map out the repairs on a per water basis, zap the fuses, then retest the wafers. The zapper did no testing itself. It just read the plan off a disk.

The wiki has a line that could use more explanation: "Amdahl eventually declared the idea would only work with a 99.99% yield," which wouldn't happen for 100 years.

The wiki says Trilogy was going for 2.5 inches on a side. Yikes!

So $230 million in 1980. If I used the CPI table correctly, that is a factor of 3 in today's dollars. So that would be $690 million. That is a lot of VC, but not Facebook scale.

Reply to
miso

Not sure if anyone else has posted it.....

I found a video of a black box pinger teardown:

Jump to about the 3:00 mark for the pinger

Reply to
Kennedy
[snip]

They are way ahead of you. The current technology is the SSFDR (solid state flight data recorder).

These use flash memory. I wouldn't be surprised if it contains a generic, large sized SD memory card, ruggedized, but readable using the standard SD interface and file system.

From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
convulsed with laughter.  Some day I intend reading it.
                -- Groucho Marx, from "The Book of Insults"
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Apr 2014 08:45:08 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Yep, nice work!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje