Choosing an AWG or function generator

Having seen several old function generators in my lab die recently, I'm in the market for a new arbitrary waveform / function generator for general lab use.

I'm hesitating between the Thurlby Thandar TGA12101 and the Tabor model 1071, which have very similar specifications, and which would both do the job. The latter has a LAN interface, which is a tempting little plus.

Would anyone here like to share his experience to help me make my choice?

Thanks, Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

IMO, that's not a "tempting little plus", that's a basic requirement. A "tempting little plus" is what got Eliot Spitzer in trouble.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Well, the manufacturers seem to think of it that way. Very few of these things have a LAN interface. Most have GPIB. Some have RS232 or USB. I expect that, whatever the actual interface, they all look like thinly disguised GPIB.

Heaven forbid that they actually use some closed proprietary protocol, as do e.g., National Instruments' boxes. That would sure douse my interest.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman