Big crowbar module for <4VDC?

Has the author ever heard of a gate trigger voltage? Assume 1.5V for now: Zener 5.1V plus Vgt = 6.6V. Phssst ... crackle ... pop ... *BANG* ... there goes the majority of connected logic chips. Many of those won't take anything above 6V.

The proper way to do a crowbar is with a TL431.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

My father had a policy of refusing to service Muntz TV's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

[snip]

Of course. TL431 was one of my jelly-bean-parts-of-choice during the mid '70's thru late '80's.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

I can understand why. I did the same in Germany, there was a brand named "Kuba" where I told neighbors that I won't fix those anymore.

Hey, did you post a few MP3 tunes from your father yet?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

With me they still are. When I feel extra generous I might even spring for a TLV431 on regular circuits (not crowbars), but not often.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Why mod it? If you have access to a point within the PS circuitry, just add your own crowbar. Since the existing one is designed for 5V output, odds are that it will never operate and won't interfere with your added circuitry.

Put in whatever SCR it will take to work with the current available. If your load is that valuable, a few dollars more for a beefy part won't break the budget. I'm assuming this isn't for high volume production (in which case, a custom designed PS would be better).

I had a dog that would chase anyone riding a bicycle.
In the end I had to take his bicycle away.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Well, but I want it to work. Ideally at 3.6 volts or so.

Guess I'll have to if nothing commercially available comes up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Jim Thompson" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Communist Chinese actually ;-) .

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:32:11 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Crowbars are to protect the LOAD, not the supply, and should be at the OUTPUT. In case of a 100K$ load and a 100$ supply, the choice is easy. Shorting before the regulator does not guarantee energy in any caps and or inductors in the circuit does not make it to the load. Simple.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In article , snipped-for-privacy@diespammerdie.jensen.tdcadsl.dk says...>

The difference being that Chi-Comms like business.

Reply to
krw

I roll my own versions of TL431 now ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Nope. Simple-minded analysis.

...Jim Thompson

But, according to Joerg, $1 for a fuse is too much ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:53:00 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Maybe you can address this issue:

'Shorting before the regulator does not guarantee energy in any caps and or inductors in the circuit does not make it to the load.'

versus insulting, you leftist commie ;-)

My view is: Measure temperature where you want to know it, Measure voltage where you want to know it. And limit voltage where you want it limited, not at the power plant LOL.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:55:41 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Joerg uses narrower PCB traces as fuse perhaps?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

[snip]

Naaah! YOU be the leftist commie jerk.

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:24:29 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

That begs the question not only about your knowledge of crowbars, but also if you know the difference between left and right.

You can test it here:

Jan Panteltje

Not in this case. In this case there simply is no way to install one without major surgery.

In other cases (med/aero etc.) a fuse is always considered a fire risk. Because it is one. So every fuse will greatly increase a cert effort. So you only place them where they make sense. Between caps and pass devices they often don't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And the 'working out' has to include the well-known human tendency to cut corners and then lie to cover it up--I'd want to wear a belt and suspenders there. I've seen too many people use fuses wrapped in foil.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs