big blackout

Though I think it should be ".. alphabet from eh? to Zed".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

But what made it bad was that FE's system monitoring s/w was inoperative. They didn't perform the appropriate steps to mitigate the original problem because they didn't understand the scope of the problem.

The original line trip may or may not have been due to poor maintenance, but one can't operate a system based on the assumption that a line won't fault. Some clown will manage to run his pickup truck into the best maintained transmission line structure and you're in just as much trouble.

I've worked in a number of industries (including electric utilities) and I'm amazed at the lack of technical discipline applied to their IT architecture. I suppose it makes it easier for vendors to sell crap that looks good when the sysops are using the workstations to download p*rn, but it isn't worth crap in the face of failures.

This isn\'t right.  This isn\'t even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Of course not, or well sort of. I was making fun of their position, actually. They were silly enough to say something like that couldn't happen in europe. If the "like that" refers to the power going down because of some line in Canada, they are right. Otherwise, they are wrong.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Well then I guess we can still say it can't happen in Europe since they don't run power through Ohio either.

It is likely it was corner cutting. You can increase your short term profits by not maintain equipment. For some reason, investors don't seem to unload the stock when they see someone doing that. It usually is a good indication of poor performance in the future.

[...]

In the big blackout back in the 1970s IIRC, they had to use power from Gatineau Power to get stuff back up and running. It seems that it was about the only thing that could start its self up.

I'd expect someone to be shot if the design didn't provide for that problem.