Best North American Tek distie?

Have to buy a couple of digital scopes, any preference for a Tek distributor these days (US or Canada)?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'd just go by price. In this days and age you can probably haggle and get some discount. Done that on another tool, worked! I told them I didn't like the new pricing and if they gave me the old price we'd have a deal. The answer was "Ok, we'll do that".

But last time I bought a scope (not high end) I chose Instek because theirs was better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've been pretty happy with

for the occasional onsie-twosie purchase like this over several years. Haven't had any problems with them, so I can't comment on resolutions/ returns/etc.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Doesn't Tek have these nice cradle-to-grave warranties where it wouldn't really matter where you bought?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'd just call them directly.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

They don't seem to sell directly, at least for onesy-twosey-- they just pass you over selected disties, after phoning.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I used to buy from them directly, too. Now when I contact Tek, I get a call from someone else. Unexpected and unwanted. They aren't that far away from me, so maybe I'll go over and just walk into building 50 looking for a 'scope to buy and see what they do with me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

As I mentioned elsewhere, whenever I click on any area of their site having pricing, I get a call from them the next working day. I do this quite often, I like looking at scopes :)

You know something - I have just realised that I get more excited by the thought of a new scope than a new car... what a geek.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Do you subscribe to the RF Globanet "newsletter?" They occasionally provide interesting links to manufacturers' product announcements or data sheets, but it's pretty much guarantee that if you click on one, you *will* get a call the next day or so from that company's salesguy asking if there's any chance you'd like to buy 50,000?

At least personally, this makes me *less* likely to check out those manufacturers' products than I otherwise would have. Their loss...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sound like cookie monster, maybe they set some cookie onto your HD?

Same here :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hey, you guys should watch the cookie settings in your browsers. Might be good to flush them from time to time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Will do, but I think it's smarter than that -- the link they provide contains not just the "real" link to the data sheet (or whatever), but also gets tagged with a unique identifier at the end that's index back to your personal contact information.

If it is something I'm really interested in, I have at times just gone directly to the manufacturer's web site to get the data sheet.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sure, but there would have to be something like a cookie or other sort of identifier that lets their server know that it's Joel's computer calling in.

Same here but I never got calls from a sales person afterwards. A lot of times I am doing this for clients, find suitable equipment for a task there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

tagged

contact

Here's one from a TI email earlier this week announcing their new Delfino series of processors:

(with 0 instead of real identifiers, natch).

So clicking the link in the email goes to TI's website but with a brief (and invisible) side trip through sdm3.rm04.net. The kn, m, r, and j variables are enough to encode the desired end-point link and also the account to which the email was sent. The long r and j variables are actually base-64 encoded strings.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

contains

tagged

contact

I never click on such links, whether in legit emails or not. There comes a point where IMHO ethics boundaries are crossed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

With Tek you have to register on the site, and be "logged in" to get the prices. (At least the UK ones). I am sure I could have just entered an incorrect phone number but I don't really mind in this case.

Tek: "Hello, this is xxx from Tektronix UK. I was just checking to see if you got the information you needed from our site"

Me: "It looks very nice but none of my probes will work with it, and the adapters are expensive. And it doesn't even come with any, you have to buy them separately."

Tek: "......OK. So is there anything else I can help you with today?"

I recall years ago some big US semiconductor site gratuitously insisting on knowing my country of residence before it would cooperate. I clicked on "Afghanistan" because it was first on the list. That'll teach em, I thought. Then came 9/11 - so I guess I'm on a "no fly list" now...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Tek sells scopes without probes ... ?

Nah, it ain't as harsh as people say it is. I assume they've got schools with EE departments over there and students or academic staff are bound to start similar inquiries.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ha! Serves you right for trying to stitch up Sloman! :)

Uh... "British Dental Surgeon"?

It amuses me when I think back to the things I used to take through security. As long as there was a led that turned on, they were happy. It did not seem to matter how many batteries, seven segment displays and dangly wires it had.

:)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

[snip]

Slowman can't do shit.

Bush Derangement Syndrome

Yep. I used to carry LARGE breadboards that would barely fit into a briefcase, all kinds of wires, like shown here, but much more complex...

I recently flew from Phoenix to San Diego with a big-ass corkscrew/foil-knife in my carry-on.

Discovered it when I unpacked in Rancho Bernardo.

So I had the secretary at Zarlink ship it back, figuring two times thru security would be pushing my luck ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Then got stuck on the Escondido like usual? I almost missed my flight back some times.