200V amplifier

I need an amplifier that can amplify a 5V p-p (range 5V to 0V) signal to

200V p-p (range 200V to 0V). The bandwidth needs to be at least 500 kHz. Does anyone know of a circuit or maybe an opamp that is capable of this?

TIA

Jon

maxascent

Have a look at:

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Am 22.11.2011 10:12, schrieb maxascent:

have a look at AN18 from Linear Technology, fig. 9. The circuit shown is designed for +/-120V output swing but it can easily be modified for unipolar operation.

Alexander

Reply to
Alexander

Isn't it important to specify the load impedance or something similar? AC or DC coupled?

Reply to
mike

** Hey - don't annoy a f****it code scribbler with reality.

It only makes them worse.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

.
?

Oh, did cirrus buy up apex?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

.
?

Yeah a nice transformer might do it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hz.

is?

500kHz of bandwidth is asking a bit much of the nicest transformer with a 40:1 ratio.

Transmission line transformers do offer that kind of bandwidth, but you are restricted by the characteristic impedances of practicable transmission lines.

I can see getting 2:1 at 25R out of a first stage wound with two strands of coax, connected in parallell, which could then drive a second 2:1 stage wound with twisted pair chosen for a 100R characteristic impedance for a total step-up of 4:1 with an output impedance of 400R, but that still leaves a factor of ten to go.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yes, several years ago. I was trying to remember who bought Apex (I was thinking Cypris) when I saw John's post.

There needs to be a website --

-- to keep track of things like Apex and Cirrus, and Motorola Semiconductor Division and FreeFall Semiconductor, and Bell Aerospace and Bell/Textron, etc.

You could probably make money at it, if you could figure out an easy indexing scheme, and sell ads.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

They're very nice amps, if you have money for parts and not much time for design.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

al to

kHz.

this?

?

OK sure, but one could get 25 Vp-p from an opamp and then move on from there...

(or maybe even 50 Vp-p if you ran it differential and got 'creative' with the power supplies.)

But my guess is the OP wants DC to 500kHz. (We'll probably never know.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Has the OP specified a load? Is it Dc-500kHz or some minimum low corner. ...Jim Thompson

Put yourself into malicious compliance mode, and 500kHz of bandwidth is easy.

Just specify a center frequency of 10MHz, and use a 10:1 ratio transformer in a resonant circuit with a loaded Q of four or five!

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

ignal to

500 kHz.

of this?

lar?

Nah, we have no idea. The only spec at the moment is 0 to 200V... since it's single ended one might try an opamp driving a FET. (If the ~$40 Apex solution is too expensive.)

George H.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

I think you'd need an opamp driving at least a couple of transistors, unless you didn't mind a really wimpy output, a lot of loss in your amplifying stage, or both.

And true 0V output is going to be hard to come by without split supplies. With split supplies you could either use a FET or a sufficiently high voltage NPN and a resistor load to +210V (or some other

200+overhead). Whether you also had a common-collector follower on that to add some oomph would be up to you -- my, that $40 Apex part is starting to look cheap for anything but high volumes, isn't it?
--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

.
?

Interesting 12-Bit Charge Balance A/D Converter in the LT1055 datasheet...now what to do with ratios of clock outputs...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The solution depends greatly on the required output power.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Are you looking for a a unit that swings below into the - output or just

0..200V? Are you sure you don't mean PEAK?, your voltage specs are a little sketchy.

Is it a signal amp you want like this?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie