Automotive EFI question

Hi all, I've got a question about driving the injectors in electronic fuel injection systems. Well, I watched the drive waveforms with an oscilloscope and found very high amplitude inductive flyback voltage-spikes during turn off of the injector. This is understandable, but my question is: Isn't it possible to add protection diodes across the injector coil, to eleminate the voltage spike, just like done in relaydrive circuits? Will such a diode affect the performance of the injector itself?

Best regards, Stefan Pls respond only to group, the e-mail adress doesn't exist!

Reply to
stefan.toftevall

Adding a diode WILL affect the performance. Instead of a very fast collapse of the magnetic field and quick closure of the injector you will get slow turn-off and excess "inject-time".

...Jim Thompson