UPS Backup Time Guesstimate

I'm considering a UPS to power a light load. It's a combo cordless phone/answering machine powered by AC to DC converter block. Input: 120v,

60hz, 8.5w. Output: 9vdc, 500ma.

A low cost refurb UPS (APC BK280) has specs as follows:

Output power capacity 280 VA, 180 Watts Replacement battery cartridge RBC2 Typical backup time at half load 18.2 minutes Typical backup time at full load 6.7 minutes

On the assumption that the cordless phone's batteries are fully charged when a long outage begins, I'm thinking that even less than the indicated power would be drawn to keep the answering base alive until the phone's batteries get weak, a which point more power would be drawn for charging. The phone would not be used during an outage, so its NiCad batteries would discharge just from being idle.

What's your guesstimate of backup time running on UPS described above???

Thanks, Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
.

What's your guesstimate of backup time running on UPS described above???

You can't get there from here. The PSU essentially zero load. The UPS will probably have 10-20% of its maximum load as waste power.

So, take the uptime as 5-10 times the 'full load' value. and add on 20% as the battery will be more efficient. However, I wouldn't bother. I'd take 6 D cells, which will output 9V, then add a diode in series with both the PSU output and the D cells. The batteries will automatically take over when the PSU fails. (depending on the exact voltage of the PSU, the batteries may drain a little. However, you should still get well over 10 hours of uptime, more likely

50.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Just over an hour maybe ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hmmm... that's the rating of the wall wart - *NOT* the phone !

In which case the UPS will likely run about as long as it does with no load at all. Whatever that is.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Same as the one I gave on Tuesday:

Since this involves rechargeable batteries, all "marketing" numbers can be halved, making the half load number something like 9 minutes. The phone's power supply takes 8.5 W, so you'd expect something like (90 W /

8.5 W) * 9 or about 90 minutes. In reality it will be a bit longer than this. Make sure nothing else gets plugged into the battery-backed outlets on the UPS.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

You need to re-think this:

"The phone would not be used during an outage". So why do you need a backup? Imagined response: "Well, the phone might ring, in which case it would be used."

Charging the handset is simply not a factor - unless, as I suspect you will find if you get a long outage, that the "non-use" is bullshit. I think what actually may happen is that the phone will get more use during an extended outage than usual.

Just buy a corded phone or use Ian's idea.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed,

One other possibility, and the only one I'm actually trying to deal with, viz., calling in from elsewhere to retrieve messages on answering machine. Phones, as you know, often operate in a power outgage. An additional issue with this machine is that its message day and time stamp become inaccurate after even a brief power blip.

Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
"ehsjr"  wrote in message