Audio baluns for sound card input?

Hello John,

Well, yeah, they could hire some pros to take care of this stuff. But nowadays I have the impression that computers are pieced together using existing designs. And pieced together in quite a hurry. The MB comes from this mfg, the drives from that, the sound stuff from another and the PS from yet another. Slap it all together and you've got a PC. Sort of. As long as it does video games nicely then 95% or more of the customers are going to be happy campers.

Heck, even our answering machine (from a BIG US mfg) is full of noise when the broadband connection runs. Some day I'll fix that, too, but sometimes I am getting sick of having to polish off the designs that others were supposed to finish properly. Unless I am paid for it, then I'll do it with gladness.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Michael,

Ah, Drake. Was it the style of knobs found on the Drake 2B? That was one of the most beautiful designs I have ever seen. Both from an aesthetics point of view and with respect to the circuitry.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello John,

I grew up in RF but was surprised when I heard audio folks asking where the box with baluns was. The people that rig up the gear for rock bands. Maybe they aren't the typical audio expert. But they usually did have a lot of tatoos.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Audio baluns for sound card input?', on Sun, 27 Mar 2005:

B*****d computer people, never did understand audio and never will!

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

then you might have learned how to follow the thread

--
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/91n.htm

I believe that it was the 4C series. It has the finger hole for quick tuning, but someone tried to be helpful and laid a hot soldering iron on it during an emergency repair at a Cable TV Headend.

I have a friend who worked QC at Drake in Miamisburg and it was rejected for a minor scratch on the inlay. I also got a handful of scrap UV3 frequency display boards that were run through their wave solder machine before it was at the proper temperature. They were just starting up the production line and didn't have the profile set up right. One had over a pound of excess solder on it. Some IC's were completely covered with solder. That board was a real challenge to repair with nothing but the IC data sheets and the pinouts for the board. I got most of them working but I don't remember what I did with them.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That figures.

What does the interference sound like when it's connected to grounded equipment ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I have to admit I prefer 'passive' DIs myself. I'm surprised Behringer don't do one.

Good luck anyway.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Graham,

Nice. I think it is great that some smaller companies still make good audio iso transformers. It is no problem to produce RF versions but audio with hundreds of turns is a pain and I'd rather buy them.

Sorry, I meant Radio Shack. Should have known since I have lived in Europe and have dealt with RS.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Graham,

I haven't heard it much but the person who did the recording said it is hash (not just 60Hz plus harmonics).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg