Atmel Bought by Microchip

After Cypress dropped their bid for Atmel, and Atmel spurned Dialog, I thought that Intel might swoop in. Intel has been making noise about getting back into the embedded market, where they once had a huge presence with the 8051 product line (and before that the 804x line. They finally gave up on the idea of the x86 architecture in embedded.

All these M&As of companies doing embedded stuff and Intel is left out.

I think I'll go do a COP8 design.

Reply to
sms

Yeah, it's getting to the point that for many projects, the cost difference between an AVR Mega 8 bit part and a low end ARM that you shrug and say "Eh, why not."

I think 8 bit parts will likely always have some market share in ultra-low cost and/or low power applications.

The Vuse electronic cigarette uses an ATiny in both the battery pack and cartomizer, cheap enough to be disposable.

Reply to
bitrex

ASM is for wimps. I toggle the bits in, with a rusty nail and a jumper clip.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It's funny to find out what desktop coders think they know about embedded programming.

"8k of program memory?! You need to be hand-coding ASM for a processor like that!" It's nonsense. The AVR ISA is optimized for C and avr-gcc generates very well-optimized code. I usually can't do much better.

"Oh you could never use C++ on an 8 bit microprocessor! C++ is useless without memory management! Don't ever use a virtual function!" Yet I do all the time and it's fine.

Reply to
bitrex

What is M&A?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Mergers and acquisitions.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Bastiat would approve. But you really should be working with a Babbage difference engine and the Ada Lovelace programming manual.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

lol

Reply to
bitrex

Hmm, I am using STM32F030F4P6. Advertised price in quantity is $0.25. In small quantities it is cheaper than ATmega 328. This ARM processor in some aspects is smaller than ATmega 328: it has only

20 pins, 16kB of flash. Also has no analog comparator and no support to connect low frequency crystal. OTOH 12-bit ADC running up to 1Mps, 5 16-bit timers, DMA chanels and 4kB of RAM for many tasks make it more capable than ATmega 328.

I think that for tasks which STM32F030F4P6 fits well it is hard to find replacement in AVR line at comparable cost. And there are bigger models in the same series, still under 1 dollar. Also, while limited I would not call them "very limited": there are currently selling 8-bitters which much more limited.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
Reply to

Pin count is a huge driver in low priced devices. In a tour of one of Atmel's manufacturing facilities it was pointed out that testers are very expensive machines and often the cost of a chip is driven by tester time. So a package with fewer pins will nearly always cost less than a package with more pins.

Try to compare apples to apples in the package department. It can be very important.

--

Rick C
Reply to

$0.528 at Mouser in qty 10000. $0.89 in qty 100. Qty to get it at 0.25 must be awfully large.

Paul Rubin

You should know that Digikey and Mouser are not the places to get high volume pricing. That is typically negotiated.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I guess that makes sense. What counts as high volume though? Is 0.25 in 10k qty plausible or would it take millions of units?

Reply to
Paul Rubin

For more expensive parts I had vendors salivating at 5000 year and got a quote for very good pricing. Didn't go into production so I don't know if they would have stood by it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

By more expensive I mean $10.

--

Rick C
Reply to

$0.25 is from STM advertising. Yes, there is large difference compared to prices that small buyer gets from established places. But the same is with products from other manufactures. I got mine from Aliexpress seller, $0.44 in quantity 10, $0.43 in quantity 100. Of course there is risk of fakes, but at least there is some hope that Chinese are reselling from a big lot bought at manufacturer price.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
Reply to

I wish. I could get some parts really inexpensively, but my contract assembler won't guarantee the units if I use any of these potentially crap parts.

--

Rick C
Reply to

STM32F103C8T6 must be < $0.70 USD, based on what I see from China, but it's $3+ in 1K from Digikey.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

1) IIRC the bigger version, STM32F030K6 which has 32 pins and 32kB of flash was still cheaper than ATmega328. 2) It seems that manufactures put more features into chips with more pins. So it may be hard to find AVR chip with 20 pins and other features comparable to the CM0 chip. Actually on average I consider the F030F6 to be more powerful chip than ATmega 328, but that is subjective -- some aspects of F030F6 are much better, few other (like number of pins) are worse. I have limited familiarity with AVR product line but supect that several features of F030F6 have no match in low cost AVR-s.
--
                              Waldek Hebisch
Reply to

Pin count is a driver more because the package is more expensive than because of test time. I/Os are usually tested in parallel. High pin count testers are more expensive but it's not the major driver.

Absolutely. One of the ARMs (M7) I'm using costs about 25% more in a

100-ball BGA than a 100-lead QFP. OTOH, the cost of another (QFN-M0) is basically $X + $Y*leads + $Z*flash (Z is really small).
Reply to
krw