Atmel Bought by Microchip

Thanks, there's lots of those small boards but I didn't know about that particular one, so it's nice to learn of it. However, it's not really in the same class as an AVR which is in a single small package, DIP8 in the case of ATTiny85, also available in hand solderable SMT packages, and costs $1-$2 instead of $10+.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

I'm not sure what you mean about this. There are plenty of ARMs available for under $2. If you are just making a few of some design why do you care about such a small cost? If you are making a lot of something, why would you want a DIP package?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Whatever. You seem to be trolling. No one cares about performance other than "fast enough". How can it matter if one processor is twice as fast as needed while another processor is 10 times faster than you need even if at the same price?

ARMs are not second sourced because different manufacturers don't generally make pin compatible packages. Even if they did and use the same processor, they don't use the same peripherals, so they aren't second sourced.

I'm pretty well over this discussion.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Only NXP makes cortex-M MCUs in DIP packate: the LPC1114 and the LPC810. The latter is a DIP8 package like the ATtiny-series.

But, if you are looking for something breadboard friendly, take a look at the maple mini (see here for the original product:

You can buy clones from then from the wellknown Chinese webshops for a couple of euros / dollars, and it is actually a cortex M3 running at 72 Mhz, so quite powerfull. Just search for "maple mini clone" on your favorite web search-engine.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

Reply to
kristoff

(Well) Under $1.

Excellent points.

Reply to
krw

Because you can do more, with more performance.

Who cares about pinouts? Spin the board if your suppliers croaks. If they're still building the part, why would you want to change?

You're lying, again.

Reply to
krw

Can you suggest any specific part numbers? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Atmel M0s.

Reply to
krw

The comparison was with the Nucleo 32 board, not a bare package.

Maybe I'd like to publish the design so other people can make their own. People like cheap stuff.

DIP is easier for prototyping or hand assembly, and then it's nice to have a compatible SMT part if a board is being made someplace.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

Yes I know about those but they're not really comparable.

That's interesting and worth keeping in mind. I'd seen the maple mini before but didn't know about these clones.

In reality the AVR is more than powerful enough for most of the things they are used for: monitor a few pushbuttons, turn a light on and off, etc. High computational power has its uses but I'm also interested in micropower devices where the cpu runs at a few khz, just enough to run an RTC and a few gpio inputs.

Reply to
Paul Rubin

But he was correct that you are trolling.

Who cares about pinouts. Who cares about the same peripherals. So where is the second sourcing this is about, Einstein.

I have yet to see a post of yours which is other than trolling, could you please keep them within SED, not that CAE is perfect but we don't have any regular trolls.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

You're as stupid as he is, obviously.

The peripherals are very similar. If your code isn't a pile of spaghetti, changing one peripheral for another isn't a huge problem. The hard stuff doesn't have to change.

To put it another way, "here's your sign."

A disagreement is not a troll, stupid.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps so, engaging in an exchange with the troll of the group I have known to be that for many years. Not the brightest thing to waste my time with indeed.

So you have to redesign the board, you have to modify the software and you have a "second source". Whoever told you you have anything to do with design and programming has lied.

Yeah, feel free to disagree you are a troll. Or that 1+1=2, whatever.

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Yet you insist on doing what you think to be stupid. That *is* classical stupid.

Better than having no product to sell. Yes.

Yet you're stupid enough to continue doing something that you think is stupid. Amazing. ...or you're just another liar.

Reply to
krw

So where did I lie, Einstein.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

You don't read very well. Either you're stupid or you're a liar. Pick one.

Reply to
krw

Ah, so there is an "either/or" now. Like your second sourced MCU-s which nobody second sources, I see.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

You said it. I just clarified the choice.

Now who's trolling? So, I'm to assume the answer is "liar". Good enough.

Reply to
krw

You have yet to point to a lie I have told. You know you cannot - you must have been trying all day. So you are lying, clearly you take being a liar as something casual. One more reason for me to dislike you.

Obviously once I have been stupid enough to engage with a troll I will be trolling, too. Being the group's troll for years does not make you own the rights for that, you know.

I will not have the patience to troll you out of your habits of course, this would take days and days, but I can have some fun while you moan trying to unsay the nonsense you have said or at least steer the troll exchange elsewhere.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Can you two get a room?

Reply to