ATA 100 on a proliant server?

Was reading the article about the proliant server. I was shock that they offer ATA100 on the drive system. I know Ok so its raid ATA but my impression has always been that IDE should be no where near server platforms. Anyone have more experience with this? Do these server machines running ATA stand up well in the real world.

Reply to
Orc General

ATA-100? Are you sure? ATA-100 is a little long in the tooth.

IDE has grown up. The only real difference between SCSI and IDE drives is the electronics board. The drives are often identical (it's been that way for quite some time). IDE is now faster and cheaper than SCSI, so there is no reason for the expense of SCSI on a small system. My Tyan 2875S (single-processor version of a dual Opteron server board) has IDE (2) and SATA (4) channels.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Really?

The above one is about twice the performance (half the access time, half the latency, twice the spindle RPM, half the seek time, twice the sustained transfer rate) of the closest Ultra ATA/100 or SATA/150 drive from the same manufacturer. Only capacity tends to be lower than for the cheap "pack rat" consumer drives. Some of them are still being made in 5400 RPM.

Just as most people would be perfectly fine with 1GHz rather than 3. Or a Chevy rather than a Z-4.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There's very little difference in IDE and SCSI drive reliability these days. Indeed I had 2 consecutive brand new Seagate Barracuda IVs ( SCSI ) fail in just a few months some years back.

The speed of IDE is also way ahead of early implementations of SCSI anyway although high end SCSI still has the edge on data transfer rates.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear