Around 30V Mosfet that can handle 30V Vgs

That's great, we do business with Fairchild already :-)

Thank you for taking the time, I should have myself, but is swamped in things to do right now

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Yes, but then you only know for that batch. If the manufactor changes the process, or the process slides still constrained inside datasheet absolute maximum limits, then you can have a problem if you rely on measurements

Granted, the performance of a product can be a lot better if you push the limits like you described

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

AFAIK the "standard" AKA "common" rating is +/-15V and the +/-20V findable after some search.

Reply to
Robert Baer

You have to be a bird dog about their process changes, though, which is a pain. For cheap stuff, buying a couple of reels and sticking them in a nitrogen box is good medicine.

You're so right about that, except if you rely on it. Murphy's law applies to Murphy's law as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(I never metamurphy I didn't like.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In engineering and sports and finance, extreme performance necessitates risk. Semiconductors seem to be very consistant over time, unless they are from someone like Maxim or Minicircuits that farms out their fabs to various vendors.

Yes, and it has to be done very carefully. Testing to destruction is important, and fun too.

That series of tests evaluated switchmode-specified fets way out in their linear-mode SOAR, and involved shrapnel.

Sometimes data sheets are simply missing important specs, and if you want to use the part, you have to characterize them yourself, and take as much risk as is worth it. The specs of RF parts are usually awful, missing basic stuff like DC curves. RF is more like plumbing than electrical engineering; pump something in and see what pours out.

Mosfet switching time specs are often 10x what you can get in real life.

That makes sense. I'll not go past absolutes (and design to min/max, where possible) because the risk is too high, margins are too low, and the payoff isn't there.

Reply to
krw

De nada sir, I just happened to have a starting point on my hard drive.

That's the magic of s.e.d., the "collective wisdom." Many individuals together can know and discover more than any one of them can separately.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat