apologies!

Apologies for what I have been informed was spamming when I announced a book on the periodic table yesterday evening.

It honestly did not occur to me. Won't happen again.

Reply to
scerri

That was me being a snotty bastard.......

You might have got away with it if you had chosen to write a personal message to the group rather than a quick hack and paste of how good it isn't with random poorly targetted posting via google with your personal e-mail addy from a UCLA server!!!!!

Along with 'MAJOR New Book on the Periodic Table.'..... as if?

Honestly did not occur to you.....?

Pah!

It, sort of doesn't work here because, as engineers, we get the arse end of that sort of marketing s**te. (OK, just to be careful I am speaking for myself)

Anyway, bet you haven't got Unobtanium in your table.

And, whilst your being a bloody chemist.... have a look at the 'dirty boards' thread.

Cheers, sorry for that one.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Well, the group would go spam hell if we weren't unfriendly to strangers who only show up here to sell stuff; we'd just become an extension of ebay. If a regular participant writes a book, as several have, we're generally cheerleaders.

Actually, I'd planned to buy your book anyhow. The Phosphorous book was good, and we need more books about the elements.

John

Apology accepted! Having seen the same thing happen elsewhere, I'm wondering if publishers need to give authors a bit of guidance about use of the Internet. If it has been an electronics book, it would technically have been OK to announce it here, though there would have been a debate about that.

The book looks promising, actually.

Reply to
mc

It's ISP's (ANY entity that gives others net access, including .edu's) that need to give customers and users guidance on netiquette. But I understand that stopped happening well over a decade ago, sometime around September...

Reply to
Ben Bradley

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:-e-AgiTBdwIJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-began-offering-Usenet-access+Every-year-*-*-*+September-that-never-ended

Reply to
JeffM

About a decade ago, when I first "discovered" USENET, the first place I was directed to was the news.* hierarchy, like the FAQ and "howto" and that sort of thing. These days, the chatroom kiddies stumble onto google and just charge in like a bull in a china shop.

I swear, kids these days! Send 'em to school, buy 'em books, and what do they do? Smoke dope. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise