AofE 3rd

Looks like it is due out soon:

Of course, I don't know if that date with pan out, either. Does anyone know better if that date is reasonably close to good? (I also notice that the list price for the hardbound is much less than the

1989 list price.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yeah, the 28th of february:

../Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

That seems very close, I would think we would have heard directly if it were finished. Although Win's been pretty quiet, hopefully he's working on it.

I wonder if there is a "student manual" to go with it this time - I never got it with the original AoE(s), and it seems this was a mistake.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

There was a "Student Manual" for the original... I have a copy.

...Jim Thompson

That's a thought that had crossed my mind, too.

I did get it and it was a great piece of supplemental material. A lot of other times I'd picked up 'student manuals' it wasn't worth the bother. And I had been a bit skeptical buying this one. But when I got get and read through, I was very very happy about it. No question it helped me a lot.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Did you order the lab manual? It's always been a separate publication, AFAIK.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No, I knew it was separate - I just didn't buy one!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

One possible indication is his posting frequency of late, which has been significantly higher than it was over the summer. From what I see in s.e.d on my local server, nothing over the summer, one each in Oct and Nov, 12 in Dec, and 8 already in January.

I'm guessing that the page proofs were blessed around mid December. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I wasn't able to get both on the same site.

AoE from Amazon

Student Manual from Abebooks

...Jim Thompson

Someone feel like cooking up a script to plot Win's posting frequency by month? ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

)

I'm sorry Rich, we're not done yet. But we have finished enough to be able to concentrate on material that's much more advanced than we had before, which you should find interesting.

BTW, if one of you manages to get a copy of the 3rd ed next month, please let us see it so we can finish sooner!

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Well then glum. I just picked up C.J. Cherryh's latest and I guess it's thick enough to tide me over for a little while...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

They haven't been so numerous that you can't just eyeball them:

JeffM

Step 1: Find an '81 Delorean. Step 2: Make sure it can do 88mph.

Reply to
JeffM

Something that would be kewl would be to separate out the Q & A: If you buy the book, it comes with both the Q and A parts; then, put the Q part on-line for free, and charge for access to the A part. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

ahahahahahah! -- Thanks!

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Any good? I've never read a single sf or fantasy story from her. Should I take a crack? And if so, what would you recommend as my first?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

She's probably the best writer going at answering John W. Campbell's challenge to write a story about something that thinks as well as (or better than) a human but not *like* a human. In that vein, the Chanur novels from the 80's, her earlier Kesrith series, or the still in progress Foreigner books are all good reads. There's also an entire body of work set in her Alliance-Union universe. Cyteen (a Hugo winner) is probably the best known of these; the just-published Regenisis is a continuation.

She's not as prolific in the fantasy realms, but The Dreaming Tree is simply wonderful (pun intended).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

A severe case of Aspergers is a good model.

These days I'm into Greg Egan and Charles Stross. Here's a freebie from the latter - quite good IMO.

Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax