AoE x-Chapters, High-Speed op-amps section, DRAFT

I've used tons of the Philips bulbs of various sorts, and none have failed. I think you get lightning up there in Mass, so maybe transients kill them. We don't get lightning here. The cheap LED bulbs do sometimes fail here.

lunatic fringe electronics

Years ago I lived in a house that had lights that didn't last long. Checked the line voltage and it was 135 VAC.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Mine is 125Vac. Dunno about lightning, but our neighborhood wiring is underground. My house has probably 20 TVS units.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It is used for ARDF transmitters on 2m band, because a nice circular pattern is desirable for direction-finding competition.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

There are one or two mentally-ill Australians here. They give the rest of us a bad rep.

However, the rest of us don't tend to tolerate crap, and we fight fire with fire. If you're wrong, stupid, or rude, you can expect a robust response.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Such antenna systems are carefully designed not to waste power (and human life!) by aiming it at the ground nearby. If you're near, most of the power is aimed over your head, thank goodness!

Every transmitting site in Australia has to have published and measured EMC designs as a condition of their license, all at the Radio Frequency National Site Archive. Look up any of the bigger ones and you can see the vertical lobe patterns.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

mostly burned out leds. When one dies the whole string goes dead.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The Hackaday study found only 10% due to bad LEDs, 60% was due to electronics, the rest packaging, etc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

My Osrams go into Morse code style operation, ON-Off-On_... Ikea LEDARE seem to work better.

One can see who intends to stay in business and who is about to sell the farm.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Do you mean buy the farm?

Steve Wilson

No, Osram is to be sold.

A fellow glider pilot provoked an off-field landing because he knew the farmer had a pretty daughter. Wheat fields are harmless. It kinda worked.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

How do you get a glider out of a farm field and back in the air?

Wheat fields may be harmless to gliders, but they may cause severe damage to a powered plane because the landing speeds are much higher and can cause taildraggers to nose over. They can conceal ruts that can rip the undercarriage off a tricycle plane.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

That's easy. There is a car trailer for each glider, where it is stored by default(unless you have a place in a hall). You drive that to the farm. It takes 3 or 4 people to unmount the wings and put everything into the trailer. That takes less than half an hour. Off-field landings don't happen daily, but now & then. They are planned-in and this is exercised.

Gliders are not that much slower.

Corn fields are much worse. You land at an elevation of 6ft, and at the very end you drop to the ground. Not much trouble for the plane, but for the pilot's spine.

Fields of green are also not good. There are often fence wires that you cannot see, and the cows may feel molested.

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

So did he marry her?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That happened to me once. The 120-N-120 feed had an open neutral.

lunatic fringe electronics

All I can tell you is a lot of people have had failures nearly all due to burned LEDs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How does the poor farmer get recompensed? Everyone is worrying about damage to the plans, but what about the crop?

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Not sure about how it is among glider pilots but parachutists usually offer to pay for damage. At least that's how it was in Belgium. I once could not avoid a corn field, trying my best to steer into the "alley" between stalk row. Looked around, darn, I had knocked one over. Ate some of it, tasted horrible. I asked the farmer's son how much it costs and he laughed. "Oh, nothing, And you can't eat that kind, it's food for pigs".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That little bit of crop does not cost much. Of course, the farmer was offered a compensation, but in this case, the net effect was an invitation to Sunday afternoon coffee on the farm with the helpers and effectively the pole position with the daughter :-) It's hard to top that in the north-German plains. You know: nothing, barn, church, nothing, barn, church, nothing, ad nauseam. And the prince comes, on a white horse, eh, aereoplan,--

Someone must have been sitting on the PTT switch, and a pilot and his Co discussed the nice aspects of a girl, also a pilot.

On 116 MHz / 10W AM / 2000 meters that must have been heard even in England on the gliders frequency. But yes, yes, yes, in all of Northern Germany. And, quite positive for the girl. :-)

Cheers, Gerhard

PTT = push to talk

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

No, no, I grew up on in a rural area and it's different. Nothing, barn, church, pub, nothing, barn, church, pub. I can't remember a church where there wasn't a pub next door, including the one I was baptized in.

"Nothing" is also a matter of taste. For me a nice rural setting with fields, forest and nature is much preferable to any kind of city.

I can see her blushing :-)

My first foray into marketing after getting my engineering degree also resulted in a marriage. Lasts to this day.